cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom, external microphone, and iphone help needed!

truedungeon
Listener

Hello!  Here's what I'm trying to do.  I want to connect to a Zoom meeting on an iPhone and use an external microphone for the audio.  I have tested the external microphone and it works when recording a video, but once I switch over to Zoom, the audio goes through the phone and bypasses the microphone.  I'm GUESSING that is because the microphone is input only and not output, but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used an external wireless mic for speaking to a Zoom meeting.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @truedungeon. Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

The Zoom Support article relating to audio on iOS is located here:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0064460 

It says this about calling using the app and Internet audio:

• Call using Internet Audio: Uses your iOS speaker and microphone.

Unless there's a way to tell the iPhone that your external mic is the active iOS microphone, I don't think that will work.  (I have an iPhone, and tested this using my Rode GoII mics, and couldn't get it to work.)

You might try using the dial-in capability and join that way:

So there are some limitations.  Hopefully you can look around in the iPhone support world and get some guidance/options there.  If you do, please come back here and let us know, so others can find it.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @truedungeon. Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

The Zoom Support article relating to audio on iOS is located here:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0064460 

It says this about calling using the app and Internet audio:

• Call using Internet Audio: Uses your iOS speaker and microphone.

Unless there's a way to tell the iPhone that your external mic is the active iOS microphone, I don't think that will work.  (I have an iPhone, and tested this using my Rode GoII mics, and couldn't get it to work.)

You might try using the dial-in capability and join that way:

So there are some limitations.  Hopefully you can look around in the iPhone support world and get some guidance/options there.  If you do, please come back here and let us know, so others can find it.

truedungeon
Listener

Thank you!  Yeah, I'm fairly certain it won't work because there is not input and output for the mic, so the phone doesn't know what to use as output.  Bummer, too, because it made the sound for our virtual escape room super great, but c'est la vie!  

Lori

Ray_Harwood

Consider the possibility of connecting to the meeting using the desktop Zoom app, but then use the Share Screen feature for iPhone/iPad:

Ray_Harwood_1-1705597638334.png

Test it out... I don't recall whether that brings in audio or not... but I think if you select the Share Sound option (yellow highlight), it might work.  As long as your device is on the same wireless network as the PC, it should be fine.  I've tested using iPhone video before, but not audio.

Good luck!

DrDarrow
Listener

This is very aggravating as I have been able to do this in the past with an iPhone 13 and my Godox wireless mics. I was planning on using this ability in a few days to broadcast a funeral, but now I'm gonna be stuck dragging a camera and laptop to it. I'm so tired of Zoom finding a way to break or remove features with updates!!!