cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom App on Linux (Manjaro) does not save preferences

Ricardo_Freitas
Listener

Hi There!

I'm a Manjaro Linux user and recently Zoom App is not saving the PREFERENCES any more!

Every time I launch Zoom, I have to go through all my personal preferences all over again!

I have searched for any "config" file on my PC at /home and at /opt directories and there is nothing related there!

Previous version just worked perfectly! But not anymore!

Any help?

Ricardo_Freitas

(Brazilian user)

13 REPLIES 13

PaulContest
Listener

I have the same problem on LinuxMint, Zoom does not save my preferences and my ID/PW. So at every launch I have to recheck all the preferences. This is annoying. If someone can help. Thanks.

robertomansfiel
Listener

Same problem here on Debian Bookworm. The .config/zoomus.conf file gets reset each time I launch zoom.

Ricardo_Freitas
Listener

Hi there!

On my case I have found the solution!

On Manjaro KDE the problem was the Kwallet - Secret service.

You can find this option on System Settings - Kwallet. Just deselect the Secret service option to allow other apps to use KDE Kwallet.

Hope you can find similar solution on your system!

Now, every option is properly saved and used all the time.

Ricardo 

PaulContest
Listener

Thanks for the suggestion Ricardo. Unfortunately I am not using KDE but Cinnamon and KDE Wallet isn't installed.

Paul

robertomansfiel
Listener

Debian MATE here. My issue isn't universal -- just on one machine. Another machine works fine. I don't know why.

sygibson
Listener

I'm running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.  Roughly in October I had this problem arise too.  All settings are lost on exit of the application.  I opened a Zoom support ticket - but they have been useless.  The usual "uninstall / reinstall" for Windows and Mac OS documents pushed at me.  Even though I keep saying - this is Linux.

I am running KDE and tried deselecting the KDE Wallet "secret service" settings; to no effect/avail.   

My laptop system info is below.

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20231214
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.10
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.112.0
Qt Version: 5.15.11
Kernel Version: 6.6.6-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 20 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1280P
Memory: 62.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics
Manufacturer: Framework
Product Name: Laptop (12th Gen Intel Core)
System Version: A8

NOTE - this weekend Zoom Linux client 5.17.0 released.  I removed my older version (5.16.10), deleted all zoom configuration data in $HOME/.config/ (zoom.conf, zoomus.conf, and "Unknown Organization" directory).  Installed the new 5.17.0 version from scratch.

Went to settings to change things, exited (cleanly), then restarted.  No dice.  All settings are completely lost on restart of the application.

5.17.0 DOES NOT FIX THE ISSUE.

I have downgraded from 5.17.0 to 5.15.12 (7665) and 5.14.10 (3738).  I used this page to find the last 5.x.x version and build number:
https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0068973

Then downloaded the RPM Package by constructing the URL with the versions, which yielded me this download URL:

https://zoom.us/client/5.14.10.3738/zoom_openSUSE_x86_64.rpm

https://zoom.us/client/5.15.12.7665/zoom_openSUSE_x86_64.rpm

I then reinstalled an older version.  NO CHANGES - still broken in these older version.  The 5.14.10 version was released June 2023 - I stopped trying to go backwards in time at that point.

POSSIBLE FIX FOR YOU - REMOVE $HOME/.zoom directory

NOTE my thrashings in below replies ... and I've found a fix for MY problems similar to this.

Stop Zoom completely (make sure it's not running in System Tray or similar)
Remove the $HOME/.zoom directory entirely (rm -rf $HOME/.zoom)
Start zoom
Make settings changes
Exit zoom (cleanly)
Start Zoom again - it remembers my login and settings now

POSSIBLE FIX FOR YOU - REMOVE $HOME/.zoom directory

I'm sure I've tried this approach before without success, but for some reason it worked this time. I uninstalled Zoom, deleted ~/.zoom, reinstalled, and now my settings and login are retained after I restart Zoom. I'm glad this annoyance is gone!

-R

Hi sygibson,

thanks for your procedure. It solves my problem not saving the zoom preferences.

I am running openSUSE Tumbleweed with Gnome and Zoom 5.17.5 (2543).

Excellent - glad it was helpful @bstuecker 

PaulContest
Listener

Thanks a lot the suppression of $HOME/.zoom worked. Great.