cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual background is still loading

caffeinatedbots
Attendee

I have been using virtual backgrounds without issue since March 2020, but in recent weeks I have sporadic issues with Zoom failing to work with any virtual backgrounds. When I turn on the camera, the feed stays black until a pop-up comes up saying that the virtual background is still loading and asking me to start video anyway or stop. I can not ever get the background to work.  Unplugging and reconnecting the webcam, changing ports on the dock, restarting Zoom don't work. Using the mic on the webcam never suffers any issues and works even when the feed is black while Zoom is apparently attempting to load the virtual background.  Once I click on "Use video" button and ignore the virtual background, the camera works without issue though obviously without the virtual background.

Setup is USB Logitech webcam attached via VAVA USB-C dock on 2019 Macbook Pro running macOS Big Sur 11.4. Zoom version is 5.7.6. 

Has anyone else encountered this or have ideas for fixes or workarounds? 

56 REPLIES 56

You can try to do the same way I solved the problem, let me explain to you.

C:/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Zoom. · Right-click on the data folder and click Delete.

Solve the video loading issue.

drbala
Listener

I found a reliable workaround for Windows, a bit tedious but video is back.

1. Start zoom, join a meeting, say Your personal room. If you're in this situation, Video will not come.

2. Go to Settings, Device Manager, Cameras. Right Click your Camera and Disable it. When a pop up comes on and says "You must restart", ignore it and Do not restart your computer.

3. Now, Right Click your Camera and Enable it.

4. Exit out of the meeting.

5. Get back into the meeting, and this time Video will work.

The sad thing is, I have to do this every time the PC is restarted. This is a messed up situation for @Anonymous. I'm using zoom download version 5.13.11 released on 2023-03-06.

Thank You!!!!   I will try soon.

DRBala,

I just tried but it did not work.  Still have the message "Virtual background is still loading".  I noticed that my camera is working because the green light turns on and I have also tried a new camera with the same results.  Thank You, the only way is to find and remove the hidden files. 

Ah, I kind of assumed that we have all uninstalled and reinstalled zoom (perhaps, several times). Yes, uninstall zoom and delete the zombie files. I used iobit uninstaller free to do the uninstall. Then downloaded zoom install file. After it installed, I followed the five steps above. Even after half a day, it still works in my HP Envy desktop, which has an USB camera. (Unplugging the camera and plugging it back did not work for me. I had to do this specific routine: start zoom, Disable camera, Enable camera, quit zoom, and restart zoom.

I just uninstalled it for the 10th time and reinstalled it.  I also tried to remove the "zombie" files by checking the "hidden file view" in File Explorer and finding some files in Program Files folder, then rebooting and installing zoom again and starting the program.  The camera still does not show, and I get the "Virtual background is still loading" message.  The camera does turn on with the green light button but nothing is on the monitor.  Now I have tried to fix this problem for 5 days and I am 78 years old and just about ready to "call it quits" and use another program.  Zoom does not ever help with this issue, I have pressed the Support tab so many times I am defeated.  I have paid for this program for 2 years and never had any help except You all on the Zoom Community.  For which I say Thanks and I am out...........

I have found the answer!    TURN OFF SECURITY SOFTWARE WEBCAM PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!

BillnGrassValle
Listener

I just about gave up and changed to another program.  Then I got thinking about what else would prevent the camera from working, and I FOUND THE FIX.....   

I turned off the Security Software (Kaspersky Total Security) Webcam Protection and now my ZOOM camera works!  I have been trying for over a week to get it working and now it works.

TURN OFF YOUR WEBCAM PROTECTION in your Security Software.  Thanks to all who tried to help!

This is probably it. By disabling and enabling (and not restarting), the McAfee security software thinks that I don't have a camera! You found the root cause.

I agree with you without this community, I'd be going crazy. @Anonymous, on the other hand, is a lackadaisical company for taking our money and not providing the expected service.

fizer
Listener

Tuve el mismo problema, desinstalé la última versión de zoom y la instalé de nuevo como 10 veces y nunca funcionó. Una solución alternativa fue instalar una versión de zoom del 2022 y funcionó hasta que me pidió actualizar de versión. La solución definitiva fue desinstalar Kaspersky y ahora funciona bien la última versión de zoom. Espero les sirva de ayuda.

BMGYT
Listener

Mine is just loading and loading

digiwise
Listener

I am having the same problem - it just started all of a sudden. i don't have antivirus installed. I am running a mac mini OS Ventura 13.4 - help!

Any luck? This just started for me. 

tracy3333
Listener

i found contacting Zoom too confusing so took to my computer repair guy - guess what?  - needed new camera.  Sometimes it is the simpler things to check first.

digiwise
Listener

The only thing that worked for me, was to TURN OFF the Virtual Background.

Can you say more about that? I turned backgrounds off in settings and I am still unable to get the video to load.

Note - I have a built in camera and an additional webcam. The webcam works in FaceTime and Google Meet. It does not work on Zoom, as of 3 days ago. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Shut down and restarted my laptop. 

Pretty frustrating to pay for a product that suddenly stops working the way you expect. 

digiwise
Listener

I just don’t use the feature - it sucks but I would rather have my camera working than not at all.