cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Background support for newer chipsets (N100)

yunamc
Listener
I bought an N100 budget PC recently and was disappointed that Virtual Backgrounds are not enabled for this platform in the latest Zoom Client. The chipset support Intel UHD Graphics and I am running the latest Intel 31.x drivers. The capabilities of the CPU also supercedes the minimum Intel Pentium / Celeron & Core i3-5000 requirements stated in the FAQ about hardware requirements but is disabled for no other reason than the chipset is not reported as being a "Core" series processor. To me this restriction is artificial and says that development has moved away from Virtual Background technology. Despite using Zoom since the start of the pandemic, I see no improvements in the AI around Virtual Background technology and still see "leaks" of the background around the inner rim of the speaker's headset and my kids regularly pop into view in the background. Will Zoom start to support these newer processors or will the company release any beta versions that can be used to test these newer chipsets? The requirements seem unchanged since 2019 and I think it's time to move forward with newer chip platforms. Zoom is an invaluable tool for communication and remote learning, and not everyone wants to spend a fortune to buy an Intel Core platform for what can be done with a lower- cost chipset these days. I hope Zoom will release a Lite client, albiet with less AI or other capabilities or a Beta version so that customers can test and provide feedback on newer platforms without the hard- coded restrictions of chipset names.
1 REPLY 1

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Please raise a ticket formally with Zoom support if possible.

I share your frustration and have experienced multiple rounds of seemingly arbitrary whitelists for both Zoom Desktop Client and Zoom Rooms that don't factor in new hardware, less common CPUs, more capable older-gen processors, etc for various graphic-intensive tasks (forget about transparency and full support for GPUs / hardware acceleration).