cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Keynote as virtual background failing - "Keynote not installed" message

RoseannHanson
Listener

Several others have posted about this but there have been no replies yet so I'm boosting here!

Trying to use virtual background using a Keynote slideshow; I have Keynote installed of course, that's how I'm playing it.

When I try to use the advanced feature, I get the error message (see screenshot) that "Unable to load XYZ.key because Keynote is not installed."

I tried with a .ppt file and same error message for "Powerpoint is not installed."

I tried to see if Zoom has an app for Powerpoint or Keynote; they do not.

Others are using this great feature, and I'd love to, but am stuck.

(I uninstalled, fully, the Zoom app and reinstalled; same issue)

(Computer and Zoom all 100% up to date)

(Running 2021 MacBook Pro M1 with Ventura)Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 5.43.19 PM.png)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi all!

I just wanted to pop in here and let you all know that our engineering team has identified the root cause and the issue will be fixed in client 5.16.5.. Thank you all for your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

Edit: MacOS client 5.16.5 will be released on Oct 22nd.

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Ricky13
Listener

I'm getting the same thing. Looking for assistance. 

Erusen
Listener

Same here, on a Mac mini M1 (2020), Sonoma 14.0, latest Zoom (5.16.1).

astronomilo
Listener

Same here 😞 

RodB
Listener

Same here.

My frustration is growing. This feature is of critical importance for the work that I do. Zoom, please offer us a solution to this issue asap. 

Shin-chan
Listener

Same here

Maxzway
Listener

Same here 🙁

pastormac
Listener

Same thing happening here.  Come on Zoom, what do we do?

Elkite
Listener

I Have the same  experience !! There is no  explanation on internet to fix this ! 

Zoom can you help?

IkuSyd
Listener

I am also having problems with the same error.
But I could open PowerPoint.
I hope Zoom can solve this problem soon.

crzyg8r
Listener

Same problem here, even if I try to upload a pptx file that was saved from keynote it still gives the same error message that Keynote is not installed

Gene63
Listener

Still waiting... I'm adding my personal request for fixing the bug!

Kristen37
Listener

Me too! Keynote is such a wonderful presentation tool but why the issues with it and Zoom?

I also out in my own report because I have to present tomorrow night for public speaking . 

Oh no. Let me know what you end up doing. Are you changing to Powerpoint? My presentation is long; it would take a considerable amount of time to adjust it.

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi all!

I just wanted to pop in here and let you all know that our engineering team has identified the root cause and the issue will be fixed in client 5.16.5.. Thank you all for your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

Edit: MacOS client 5.16.5 will be released on Oct 22nd.

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Thank you for the great news!
When will 5.15.5 be released?

EL
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

macOS client 5.16.5 will be released on Oct 22nd.

Thank you!

Thank you very much!

Just found this thread as I was trying to use this feature for a meeting tomorrow (10/19/2023).
Looking forward to the fix, but I guess I will have to use the old-school approach for now.

I was hoping to use the background slideshow as a way to get around another problem I'm experiencing. When I export my Keynote slides as a series of images the way I have been able to in the past, two issues occur: first, they come into my background slides out of order. Second, I can no longer slide my background window over and use my arrow keys to navigate through the slides. I have to click on each slide independently. Since they're out of order, I also take extra time figuring out which is which. This is a huge problem in a language class that I am teaching. I hope you can fix it.

EL
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hi MJ, we are currently investigating the issue.

EL
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hi MJ, we couldn't reproduce the issue.  Please open a support ticket to further troubleshoot this.  Likely we will need a video recording for clarification.  

Hi Carla,

Thank you for your post. Today we have oct 24th and  I need very urgently this update. 

Rüdiger

Zoom user

もう少しの辛抱ですね。待ちます。

I am getting the error message: unable to import "presentation name" ; try restarting Keynote or opening the file in Keynote to troubleshoot. I am using Mac OS Ventura (14.1.1), Zoom client app 5.16.6 (24664), Keynote 13.2.

I opened and saved the keynote file in the latest version of Keynote to be sure it would be compatible but to no avail

yeah this hasn't been solved

I have managed to fix the issue; it has to do with the Keynote file type apparently; my old Keynote file was a so called 'package'; I changed it to 'single file' (which is the default for new Keynote decks I found out), saved it and it now works fine in Zoom. (check screenshot)

Hi; I managed to find the root cause; it had to do with the file type inside Keynote; the older Keynotes I have, which are made with older versions were saved by Keynote as a so called 'package' (see screenshot). If you change this to the file type 'Single File', Zoom will work fine with the presentation file. New presentations are automatically saved as 'Single File' by Keynote so won't have this issue (with the latest Keynote version installed; I don't know how older versions behave). 

This situation is still a problem. Please advise asap 

Did you try my suggestion?

EL
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

You are very welcome.  Thank you for choosing Zoom.