cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Shooting Video Lag--Is Google Chrome the Culprit?

VirtualSpeech
Listener

I'm at my wits end with a "choppy" video problem that mysteriously appeared after I moved a month ago--the only thing that I know changed was my Internet Service--we got high speed, with 800+ Mbps download speed. But, at times my download speed drops to in the 30s-70s, creating a very choppy video experience, whiich is not acceptable as I coach and give presentations on Zoom

I think the problem is Chrome, and wonder if there is a fix that would allow me to still use Chrome.

My techy husband and my IT professional son-in-law tried to troubleshoot (tried wired, wireless, changed the hub, removed one of my 3 monitors, tried with different browsers, with Outlook open/closed, watched performance on the task manager, etc.). At this point we suspect the culprit is Chrome. I removed all the extensions, except Dashlane, my password manager. Didn't help. When I don't use Chrome, and use Edge, so far the speed seems OK, but I'm bummed about not using Chrome.  I transferred my bookmarks to Edge (not organized like I had in Chrome, which is frustrating). 

Has anyone else had this problem (mostly likely something with Chrome  affecting the Zoom video), and do you have some suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @VirtualSpeech for the best experience I would suggest downloading the Zoom desktop client from https://zoom.us/download. If you're not able to the web client has limited features and functions best on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Chromium Edge. See a detailed list of features available in the web client.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Please see my note above.  For me, its the Desktop Client that is causing the problem for my PC.  I have submitted trouble ticket, with standard replies to uninstall, reinstall zoom client, run zoom clean, after I did EVERYTHING else to update drivers, windows, SFC /scannow, etc.

I asked for escalation, and since I did that, CRICKETS... no response.. 

Thoughts?

Flyfisherman
Listener

I have the same symptoms!.  900+MBPS Internet Connection wired and wireless that drops to 5-8MBPS AFTER starting Zoom Client on Windows11 Pro. 

Using Chrome and web client is ok.  but quality is horrible. 

Desktop app changes speed for just this PC.  When I QUIT the Zoom Desktop Client, my Bandwidth reverts to normal 900+.  Any solutions?  I think its the Desktop Client that triggers bandwidth throttling on Windows, but the physical connection remains at 1GBPS but 5-8MBPS speeds.

I always use the desktop client, so my problems are with using the desktop client and chrome at the same time