cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supported Magewell capture device showing up as camera feed

jrhodes0215
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

We have a PC running Zoom client (5.14.11, which is another discussion since I do not see this version or the newest version 5.15.5 on Zooms road map list for 2023), a Magewell USB Capture HDMI 4K Plus which shows as a supported device and another laptop connected over HDMI to the Magewell. The Magewell shows up as a second camera feed even though it is supported as a content share device. Magewell is on current firmware.

Are we missing something? A setting or piece of hardware? We have tried this with multiple PCs/laptops with all resulting in the same issue. Any help is appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @jrhodes0215.

I'm confused by your post, sorry.  You apparently don't want the Magewell's USB output to be shown as a camera.  How were you expecting it to be connected to Zoom?

Please note that the Magewell web site shows the following compatibility:

Ray_Harwood_0-1691100285960.png

You don't mention Zoom Rooms in your post.

Whether or not 5.15.5 is on the road map or not... it is the current version.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201361953 - Windows Release Notes

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

jrhodes0215
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

Hi Ray.

Correct, we do not want the Magewell output to be used as a camera as we are using this to share laptop content into the zoom meeting and can not share audio without changing our mic source when it is seen as a camera and not a content share source.

jrhodes0215_1-1691156995228.png

This is a snip from the Zoom compatible device page for content share where it lists the Magewell USB capture devices we are using.

I did not mention Zoom Rooms because we are using a windows desktop client for this and where we are having the issues.

As for the version, I get that this is the current version but Zoom not showing this as an actual version for support does not help our engineering team when going through all this for the client.

Thanks for the response!

Ray_Harwood

Hmm, okay.

Can you share the URL of the document you quoted?

And I think I still don't understand your video flow.  I'm not sure what "we are using this [Magewell] to share laptop content into the zoom meeting".  You want the Magewell output to be used as a screen share source, yes? 

The simple approach would be to use the Magewell USB output and bring it in using the 2nd Camera feature:

Ray_Harwood_1-1691181360136.png

Just thought I'd mention this as an option, in case you haven't tried it.

Hi Ray,

As jrhodes mentioned in the initial post when you share content as a 2nd camera you do not pass audio - we are encountering a similar issue with 15+ rooms as well right now. These devices are supposed to be supported as Content for screen share so both video and audio passes. The URL for the document he quoted is from Zoom's support stating that they are compatible to show up as Content Sharing devices and not cameras:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/11266042642445-Supported-HDMI-USB-capture-devices-list

Ray_Harwood

Thanks for the link to the documentation.  Please see the documentation hierarchy/breadcrumbs at the top:

Ray_Harwood_2-1691632077779.png

Also, see this document regarding the highlighted term "wired HDMI content sharing function":

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201504265-Wired-HDMI-Screen-Sharing-with-a-capture-device 

I don't see this term used anywhere relating to non-Zoom-Rooms usage.

Sorry, given this broader view of the documentation, if you're not doing this in Zoom Rooms, I wouldn't expect Zoom Support to troubleshoot for you.

So i am actually having this issue in rooms with the Client PC's set up fully as Zoom Rooms and still having the same issue (so that is where my situation differs from the original poster)

Ray_Harwood

Thanks for the update, @AForbes.

What specific model of Magewell unit do you have?  And is there any specific error indication, or just “Nothing works”?

Since I’ve just about exhausted my knowledge in this area, my recommendation is to create a Support Ticket here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new

Include a link to this thread, the specific model number of your Magewell unit, a description of the Zoom Rooms setup, and description/screen shots of any error you’re getting or configuration setup you’re using. You might also simultaneously put the question to wherever Magewell does their support.

Please follow up here with whatever info you get, so others can take advantage of it. Thanks!!

mbart
Listener

I'm searching for a solution to the same issue and the internet brought me here. At some point our Magewell HDMI usb source is stuck as a camera. Updating firmware and latest versions of zoom room windows versions don't help. This breaks the basic functionality of the zoom room, which previously allowed an in-room camera and content sharing simultaneously. Anybody have a solution?