cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping users with Otter.ai from joining meeting

albert-rivas
Attendee

Lately, we have been having a lot of users join our meetings with Otter.ai and record and transcribe the meeting.  Some of those meetings are confidential and wanted to see if there is a security setting that needs to be adjusted or what can be done to stop these users from joining the meeting with otter.ai.   We started enabling waiting rooms and allowing users in one at a time but when you have meetings with 100s of individuals, it's hard to police everyone.  Is anyone else dealing with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Freddi_G
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello everyone, this is now available from support. Pls open a ticket with support and request to have these blocked on your account. You must be the owner or admin of the account to make the request. Pls have the account number ready and list which bot you would like removed from your account. Pls note, this type of block is for SDK type applications so make sure know if its an SDK based bot (Software based) or web (browser) based. For web based bots you can enable captcha to prevent bots from automatically joining meetings that way as well (see snapshot below). The list of bots out there is comprehensive so while we may not capture 100% of all SDK bots right now but we are doing the best we can to ensure we can protect your accounts so we are updating this list regularly.

Freddi_G_0-1695740763517.png

View solution in original post

68 REPLIES 68

this is urgent - do you have an ETA? Every one of my meetings - an I have many every day - is infested by 5+ otter pilots. 

Please let me know as soon as this is available

I look forward to an update to this as soon as possible. 

Freddi_G

Hello everyone, this is now available from support. Pls open a ticket with support and request to have these blocked on your account. You must be the owner or admin of the account to make the request. Pls have the account number ready and list which bot you would like removed from your account. Pls note, this type of block is for SDK type applications so make sure know if its an SDK based bot (Software based) or web (browser) based. For web based bots you can enable captcha to prevent bots from automatically joining meetings that way as well (see snapshot below). The list of bots out there is comprehensive so while we may not capture 100% of all SDK bots right now but we are doing the best we can to ensure we can protect your accounts so we are updating this list regularly.

Freddi_G_0-1695740763517.png

Is this parameter available to set through web use or client. 

I've submitted my support ticket.  What is the turnaround time for having this done?  I am truly horrified that someone was able to listen in to a personal one-on-one coaching session at the end of the call without any notification to me whatsoever.  Thank you for your help!

Freddi_G

Should be within a day or two if you are the admin of the account, otherwise have an admin or owner open the ticket for the account. They get highest priority for these types of requests.

Why don't you setup zoom with a waiting room and only allow in the people who you want in your meeting?  I set that up awhile ago, so others cannot join my meeting.  

how do you open a ticket?

Freddi_G

Pls go here to open a ticket. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new

What if the problem is real live participants signing in to your meeting and their AI program (in my case their read.AI meeting notes showing up in the group chat (taking notes)? I can't have any recording for my meetings (court program stuff). Since they are signing on to my meeting/my singular zoom account, I would like a way to disable these programs from working. Using captcha to stop a bot from signing on doesn't solve the problem of someone else's AI program activating on my zoom account. 

I want to make sure I understand. For a meeting that has a password on it, if a participant joins the meeting and doesn't understand they have otter enabled on their account, would this fix make it so otter won't work in our confidential meetings?  Also, the captcha solution is just if you don't require a password, is that correct? 

Nope… they can’t block a guest’s AI program from transcribing your meeting and saving it on the guest’s computer. You have to have your guest leave the meeting, disable AI and rejoin the meeting. 

Freddi_G

Most meetings require passcodes to join, the AI bot can find these passcodes embedded in the URL as the users themselves allow these bots to "scrape" their meetings for bots to join, these apps need to be blocked by Zoom by request, in the future we will be looking at an allow list instead to make it easier for admins to control. (I dont know when this will be out but will update when I hear more). Captcha only works with bots that utilize the browser based client to join meetings.

While I understand the issue with confidential meetings and the recording therein, I am hoping there will also be a setting implemented where Otter can be allowed again by default, as we are a school and many students with disabilities are using Otter to help take notes. If the host misses the allow/deny pop-up for the minute or so it is up, or the instructor is not original scheduler/host, then Otter is denied entry by default. 

Hi Freddi_G, you mention a list that will grow over time to include the growing number of bots capable of doing this.  Is this list shared out somewhere?  Can I get access to it?

Freddi_G

I get: You do not have sufficient privileges to access this knowledge item.

I'm signed in too.

Freddi_G

Are you an admin on your account? If so let me know and I can look into this, this might be an admin accessible document only.

I cannot view this article either and I am our admin. Thanks!

Freddi_G

I am sorry, this looks to be an internal only document and it is not external facing. My apologies for jumping the gun here.

Let me ask internally to see if there are any plans to make more information available to the public.

While we work on resolving this, please be patient and continue to report any issues so we can address them.

To request the blocking of a meeting bot, create a support case and provide the bot's name as it appears on the participant list, along with the meeting ID it was used in. Support will then block the bot from joining future meetings or add it to the block list for future prevention.

Zoom is actively developing methods to prevent abuse by these bots in unwanted meetings. This includes stopping bots from using non-published SDK apps to join meetings and notifying meeting owners when a bot using a published SDK app attempts to join.

Developers are being informed about these different types of bots. Bots that are not using the SDK have until a specific date to migrate to the Meeting SDK and comply with certain criteria. Many of these developers have been notified regarding this migration.

Bots that are using the SDK have also been notified about the new Meeting SDK policy and the need to comply by a specific date, or their apps will be suspended.

For more information, developers can visit these resources:

Additional actions customers can take to prevent bots from joining or gaining access to Zoom meeting information include:

• Use the Waiting Room feature
  • Use Meeting Authentication
  • Disable Marketplace integration to prevent the bot creator from pulling events from Zoom
  • Disable any calendar integration that the bot creator may have (note: this has no relation to Zoom's Contacts & Calendar integration products; customers should contact their calendar provider for assistance)
  • Contact the bot creator and request that they not join company meetings. Some bot providers can ban a company vanity URL in their system to prevent bots from joining.

I don’t just need to stop boys from joining my meeting but also need to block AI programs from being able to transcribe meetings/recording what is says in chat boxes etc. basically blocking any AI use into or during my meetings. 

aliris
Listener

This is a very, very big deal Mr Zoom.  PLEASE look into this immediately. It is reminiscent of the FB algorithm that grabs friends and all friends' friends, etc. Numerous scenarios have been laid out here from commercial to health to basic civil rights as to why it is not and never can be OK for a bot to infiltrate a meeting and take notes, unbidden and unbeknownst to the participants.

This should be a HIGH priority on Zoom's ticket-list imho.  Thank you.

Zoom should reach out to Otter if they haven’t already. This is on them. This was very irresponsible and not only affects zoom but any other platform they integrate with. It appears the thing does not even need the meeting password. It must grab it from the user login. At least reasking for the password by otter would be a step. 

UltimateZoomie
Participant

Ahem, I am not dealing with this.

Ultimate Zoomie (^.^)

SueMMA
Listener

We implemented adding this to the waiting room. Go to Settings, customize waiting room, add image. We also put it in the chat, make an announcement, and kick out bots. I was hoping to find a better solution as well. 

SueMMA_0-1692725486754.png

LearnWare
Listener

The previous suggestions, using waiting rooms and removing users, are temp solutions for managing Zoom meetings and impractical for larger meetings. The main issue demands a solution from Zoom with a feature that allows admins to prevent OtterPilot from auto-joining meetings. Or, Zoom could enable a feature for meeting creators to block bots from attending certain scheduled meetings. When I schedule my meetings, I should have an option that prevents bots from joining my meetings.

User feedback highlighted their frustration due to the lack of opt-in/out choices when bots join. Zoom should provide meeting hosts greater control beyond the current method of managing attendees individually through the waiting room.

EliseE
Listener

It’s not just stopping them from joining!!! It’s stopping AI from transcribing the meeting. It breaches confidentiality. Zoom needs to give the organizer the ability to block all AI. 

845yturi
Observer

hv bhxcbdhufISTii