cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a video from DVD

jpjordan
Listener

It's not looking like I can share my screen so folks can see a video I'm playing on my DVD player. Is that right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

acrosbie
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey there, 

In many cases, player apps prevent commercial DVDs from being streamed by services due to copyright issues. 

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

acrosbie
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey there, 

In many cases, player apps prevent commercial DVDs from being streamed by services due to copyright issues. 

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks,

Using a plug in DVD player on MacBook Air to play during a Zoom meeting.  The DVD it's self is NOT commercial.  It was burned for a personal project.  I'd like to share it but not sure if its compatible, or how to make it work if it is compatible.  Ideas?

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

I'd suggest opening the dvd with a media player, something like VLC, then sharing your desktop in a test meeting. 

Only have Quick time player on MacBook.  It will open onto desk top with audio fine.

How do I connect that to a Zoom meeting please?   (Will run a test before meeting). 

Bort

As I said, you will need to share that into the meeting. Since it likely includes audio, you will want to make sure to include computer sound as well

Thank you!  Will try w/Quick Time player, but not sure where in Zoom I'd connect it.

Could you elaborate? I'm a librarian and an advocacy group would like us to play a movie over Zoom to a very large audience. I'm very much concerned about copyright laws and digital rights management. I tried to play a DVD over Zoom a few months ago and Zoom blocked it. We pay for the rights to show the film. I have some people trying to tell me that it's perfectly fine to play a DVD over Zoom. 

I was successful in playing a DVD movie over Zoom to my non-profit group with the VLC Media Player. You can download it here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/. Once installed and opened, insert your DVD into your computer and open the DVD into the Media Player which will play it. Then you can share your screen in Zoom to show it to your participants. I used a Mac powerbook to do this.