cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen share presenter view and Mirrored video

davidsandey
Listener

I have been testing the new Screen share presenter view and noticed the following odd behavior.

When I exit screen sharing my video is no longer mirrored even though my settings say that my video should be mirrored.

There is an easy work around to return my video to mirrored mode (toggle the setting in Video Settings) but this could cause disorientation for people who use this feature.

Could this be fixed so that the behavior is the expected behavior of returning to mirrored video?

10 REPLIES 10

andyzorio_mctv
Listener

I've experienced a similar issue with Zoom Room in a city meeting environment.  Return video to Zoom appears normally, until a screen share is happening. Then the return video is mirrored, but only for external video (delivered to broadcast and streaming). Zoom participants see unmirrored (correct) video. Once screen sharing is done, video orientation returns to what is expected.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @davidsandey @andyzorio_mctv I may have misunderstood, but you mention mirroring in your video. Are you referring to the Video Settings "Mirror my video"? If that's the case, this setting has no effect on how you're presented to the audience. With "Mirror my video" enabled, your video will only be mirrored from your perspective, not the participant's.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 9.49.49 AM.png

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

davidsandey
Listener

Hi RN,

The problem is that the presenter's video is switching to non-mirrored for the presenter after they stop sharing with Presenter View even if they have Mirror my video checked. So, the presenter sees themselves in non-mirrored mode after presenting is stopped.

Does that make sense?

Hi @davidsandey gotcha - I think I know what you're referring to. When you mention "presenter view", are referring to utlizing Sharing slides as a Virtual Background? Sorry, I am trying to understand terminology to pinpoint as to when this happens to you. 

If you're using 'sharing slides as a virtual background' mirroring of your video is disabled; that is the same for these following share screen layouts (screenshot below). I did go into presenting mode (sharing slides as virtual background), and "mirror my video" was disabled, until I "stopped share". 

Sorry if I am still misunderstanding here @davidsandey trying to envision your point of view and what you're experiencing. 

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 10.17.14 AM.png

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Hi RN,

I am talking about the new feature Using Screen Sharing Presenter layouts - Zoom Support

The Zoom client correctly un-mirrors my video when sharing. But when I stop sharing my video stays un-mirrored for me. That's the pain point.

It's a quick fix to return to mirrored video just going to settings, and then disabling mirroring and enable mirroring again.

The problem is that this can cause disorientation for the presenter when they stop sharing video.

@davidsandey okay! That really helps, thank you so much for letting me know! Do you mind sharing the Zoom version you're currently running? I was testing this on macOS, w/ Zoom version 5.17.10 and the setting 'mirror my video' reverts back to checked after I have chosen a layout that is does not mirror.

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

@davidsandey I want to see if I can do some research of recent cases to see if there are any reported issues on this specific problem. Thank you! 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

I'm using 5.17.10 on Windows 11.

@davidsandey gotcha - let me see if I can do some testing on my personal device and replicate. With that, let me do my research and see what I can find! Ill report back! 🙂

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

The issue I'm seeing is different. Go ahead and drop me from this thread, and I'll start another.