cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raised Hand timeouts

Jim_Dimmick
Listener

Recently it appears that Zoom has added a timeout feature on the Raised Hand feature. And if you are not watching on the bottom of the screen for the cancel button, it will remove your Raised Hand. I have updated my Zoom client on my Windows PC to the latest version. Is there anyway for me individually to turn off this Raised Hand timeout function on my Zoom client? Or is there a way for me to change the settings on my Zoom account so that when I am hosting a Zoom meeting, no one in the meeting will have their Raised Hand removed by a timeout?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

newl
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @Jim_Dimmick 

Toggling audio before/after Raising Hand (muted/unmuted) has no effect on RHE or the time interval.

I was just trying to provide a clear, general example.

I can only further encourage you to send Zoom feedback.

Maybe they will at a minimum consider increasing the time interval??

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Please consider clicking the "Accept as Solution" button so others may find this information to add to the feedback!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

newl

Hello @Jim_Dimmick ,

I can confirm that the feature you are referring to is known generally as the "Raise Hand Enhancement" or RHE.

Some quick background:

RHE first showed up in 5.14.0 (March 20, 2023)  but was pulled and re-introduced in its current state in Zoom Client version 5.14.10 (June 5, 2023)

From the 5.14.10 release notes:

Raise hand enhancements
The visibility of participants that have raised their hand is enhanced to make it easier for hosts to be aware of raised hands and take action to address that participant. A new notification will appear for those who raised their hand, with the option to immediately open the Participants panel and take action, such as requesting their unmute to ask their question. Users can enable an audio chime through client settings for when someone raises their hand. Lastly, after speaking with your hand raised, Zoom will start a countdown to lower your hand, unless manually canceled by the user.

SEE EXAMPLE BELOW:

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 12.56.12.pngScreenshot 2023-11-15 at 12.56.45.pngScreenshot 2023-11-15 at 12.57.01.png

Unfortunately, there are no settings in your account nor on the client side that will allow you adjust this "feature".

There have been several discussions here in the Zoom Community forums about this issue, and MANY Zoom users seem to feel that there should be a way to either adjust the timing or disable the feature altogether.

I can make the same suggestion that another Zoom Community Champion ( @Frank_TB ) has made; and that is to submit a feature request and/or complaint directly to Zoom Feedback.

Sending feedback to Zoom

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0068808

I hope that this provides the information you need, reply if you have any further questions. Otherwise, consider marking the solution as "Accepted" so others may find this solution as well!

Cheers!

1) In my experience, Zoom does not wait for a person to be muted after talking to start RHE. If you are unmuted when you do Raise Hand, how long does Zoom wait to put up the RHE activated notice with the cancel button?

2) If a person mutes themselves before doing a Raise Hand, then is the timer discussed in 1) delayed starting until someone unmutes themselves?

3) Six seconds is way to short a time for many people to react. In any Zoom meeting I am hosting, I want people to be paying attention to the person who is talking and not continually looking at the bottom of the screen.  

newl

Hi @Jim_Dimmick 

Toggling audio before/after Raising Hand (muted/unmuted) has no effect on RHE or the time interval.

I was just trying to provide a clear, general example.

I can only further encourage you to send Zoom feedback.

Maybe they will at a minimum consider increasing the time interval??

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Please consider clicking the "Accept as Solution" button so others may find this information to add to the feedback!

AlnKOka
Listener

At a daily meeting with average 30-40 Participants, frequently Listeners who have Raised Hands will unmute to thank Speakers. Zoom's notice is frequently unseen due to the Participants paying attention to the Meeting. Then, the Raised Hand Participant looses their place in the queue. This requires (for fairness) the Zoom Host to pay greater attention to call on the Raised Hand Participant who lost their turn. Thank you. RSVP

JaneGarthson
Listener

I have this issue too, and so does EVERYONE I know who chairs meetings or facilitates gathering. We don't want  longer time. Everyone I know wants to go back to manually lowering hands. We need this feature Urgently; groups are starting to abandon Zoom for this reason alone.