cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions About Recording

Kato81
Listener

Hello there!

I have been helping my dad, who is teaching a couple college courses on Zoom. He has a some things he wants to do in regards to recording, so I've been doing a bit of research to see if I can solve the issue. 

-He wants to be able to record once in "Shared Screen" mode (ideally not recording his students)...is this possible?

-He uses local recording to record his lectures, then uploads them to his schools' learning management system (I think that's what it is, anyhow)

I noticed you can record Shared Screens separately while using Zoom's cloud recording, but it doesn't allow for this option if you use local recording. My dad does have access to cloud recording, but prefers local recording.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Kate

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @Kato81 

Cloud recording is really the way to achieve what you want.

With Cloud recording you can record active speaker with shared screen, gallery view with shared screen, and active speaker, gallery view and shared screen separately.

Local recording just does not provide these options.

Cloud recordings can be downloaded locally once complete. They then would be local files that could be uploaded to the schools' learning management system as before.

Hope this helps clarify.

Rupert

Reference below

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362473-Starting-a-local-recording

Local recordings don't support the following features:

• Display timestamp in the recording
  • Display participants' names in the recording
  • Record Active Speaker, Gallery View and shared screen separately
  • Audio transcription
  • Shared screen recording layout with active speaker thumbnail or without any thumbnails (local recordings will always show a thumbnail gallery view with the shared screen)
  • Record using the iOS or Android app

If you require these features, use cloud recording.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rupert

Hi @Kato81 

Cloud recording is really the way to achieve what you want.

With Cloud recording you can record active speaker with shared screen, gallery view with shared screen, and active speaker, gallery view and shared screen separately.

Local recording just does not provide these options.

Cloud recordings can be downloaded locally once complete. They then would be local files that could be uploaded to the schools' learning management system as before.

Hope this helps clarify.

Rupert

Reference below

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362473-Starting-a-local-recording

Local recordings don't support the following features:

• Display timestamp in the recording
  • Display participants' names in the recording
  • Record Active Speaker, Gallery View and shared screen separately
  • Audio transcription
  • Shared screen recording layout with active speaker thumbnail or without any thumbnails (local recordings will always show a thumbnail gallery view with the shared screen)
  • Record using the iOS or Android app

If you require these features, use cloud recording.

Thank you Rupert! I thought that may be the case. I'll see if I can convince my Dad to try cloud recording.