cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest about recording a hybrid meeting remotely

AKNPS_pres
Listener

Hello!

I run hybrid Zoom meetings and we've previously had someone remotely start the recording while I run the meeting in the room. That person is no longer available to run the recording. I was curious if I start the recording in the room, and we have a brief internet outage, whether the recording will continue or does it need to be restarted? Should I have someone with a stronger internet connection remotely start the meeting, or does it even matter? Since we are streaming the meeting in the room, the overall quality of the video is already dependent on the room internet. Nothing I can do about that. But if the recording isn't going to be disrupted by something that happens in the room, then I won't bother to try and find a new volunteer to run the recording remotely.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer

Can you first confirm whether you are using Local Recording or Cloud Recording functionality?

If recording locally, your recording will be susceptible to connectivity drops on the local machine - always good to run another local recording on a backup device somewhere else.

If running a cloud recording, there should be more resilience to packet loss, etc, since the meeting is recorded by Zoom Cloud, not your local machine. Note that if your local machine is a particpant and is uploading audio/video, your internet connection quality is still relevant to your portions of the cloud recording (hope that makes sense!). It's still a great idea to designate a co-host for these meetings, which will ensure that the meeting stays up and that the cloud recording persists if your connection drops.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

bstrelko

Can you first confirm whether you are using Local Recording or Cloud Recording functionality?

If recording locally, your recording will be susceptible to connectivity drops on the local machine - always good to run another local recording on a backup device somewhere else.

If running a cloud recording, there should be more resilience to packet loss, etc, since the meeting is recorded by Zoom Cloud, not your local machine. Note that if your local machine is a particpant and is uploading audio/video, your internet connection quality is still relevant to your portions of the cloud recording (hope that makes sense!). It's still a great idea to designate a co-host for these meetings, which will ensure that the meeting stays up and that the cloud recording persists if your connection drops.

AKNPS_pres
Listener

Thank you for the response! Yes, it will be a cloud recording, and thank you for specifying that a cloud recording isn't affected by the room internet (though the room internet would affect the cloud recording, if it was poor). I will see if I can get a co-host for our meetings. Thanks again.