cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple languages interpretation on hybrid event

Kakusse
Listener

Hi, I will be doing a hybrid event next month with 6 interpreters, with only 3 different languages output.

The main channel/floor will be a mix of english/french/spanish.

the 6 interpreters will be as followed :
english - french

spanish - french

french - english

spanish - english

english - spanish

french - spanish

If I understand zoom capabilities correctly, two interpreters will share the same channel.

ex : english - spanish and french - spanish will share the same ''spanish output channel''

Since they do not target the same language, they shouldn't talk over each other right ?

What about when the floor is speaking spanish, are the interpreters able to select the floor sound as their output as I also need to send the 3 interpretation output channels to a bosch integrus sytem for the in-person attendees?

I don't want the in person attendees to keep switching in between channels.

let me know if there is something i am missing.

thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MarionFM
Listener

Hi,
I'm a french conference interpreter. Let's see if I can help.

1. Sharing a channel. You are correct. I have often worked with other language pair interpreters working alongside my own language pair and we do not talk over each other, because if your floor is speaking, say, spanish, the spanish>english interpreter will be the only one talking on the English channel (the french>english interpreter won't be talking, as they don't translate from spanish, and the french interpreter will be interpreting from the English channel or from the floor).

2. If the interpreters aren't talking, your attendees will simply hear the floor. So if the floor is talking spanish, your spanish attendees can just listen to that. Your En>Sp interpreters will need to switch direction, and translate into the English channel. Your English in-person attendees will need to put their headphones on.

3. Finally, if you don't want your attendees to have to switch channel, simply make sure they chose the language of their choice even if theirs is the main language of the floor. For exemple, english attendees at an event mostly conducted in English tend to listen to the floor rather than the English channel. Technically not a problem, since it's the same... until the floor switches to another language. At that point, if they're already listening on the English channel, they'll instantly hear the interpreter who has switched language direction.

If I may, I think you might over complicating your set up.

If I understand this rightly, you will have speakers in English, Spanish and French, and attendees understanding English, Spanish or French?

You need 2 interpreters working between English and French, 2 interpreters working between English and Spanish, and potentially either another pair working between French and Spanish OR use a relay set up, in this case you EN>FR intepreters can interpret from the SP>EN output.  Zoom's relay is a little clunky but it works. Let's use an exemple:

Say your english>spanish interpreter is interpreting, and your spanish>french interpreters need to interpret from them. The sp>fr interpreter will need to change their audio from "main audio" to "spanish", and your speaker will need to be aware of the extra delay created by the double "decalage".

Happy to have a chat if it's any use... www.french-marketing.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MarionFM
Listener

Hi,
I'm a french conference interpreter. Let's see if I can help.

1. Sharing a channel. You are correct. I have often worked with other language pair interpreters working alongside my own language pair and we do not talk over each other, because if your floor is speaking, say, spanish, the spanish>english interpreter will be the only one talking on the English channel (the french>english interpreter won't be talking, as they don't translate from spanish, and the french interpreter will be interpreting from the English channel or from the floor).

2. If the interpreters aren't talking, your attendees will simply hear the floor. So if the floor is talking spanish, your spanish attendees can just listen to that. Your En>Sp interpreters will need to switch direction, and translate into the English channel. Your English in-person attendees will need to put their headphones on.

3. Finally, if you don't want your attendees to have to switch channel, simply make sure they chose the language of their choice even if theirs is the main language of the floor. For exemple, english attendees at an event mostly conducted in English tend to listen to the floor rather than the English channel. Technically not a problem, since it's the same... until the floor switches to another language. At that point, if they're already listening on the English channel, they'll instantly hear the interpreter who has switched language direction.

If I may, I think you might over complicating your set up.

If I understand this rightly, you will have speakers in English, Spanish and French, and attendees understanding English, Spanish or French?

You need 2 interpreters working between English and French, 2 interpreters working between English and Spanish, and potentially either another pair working between French and Spanish OR use a relay set up, in this case you EN>FR intepreters can interpret from the SP>EN output.  Zoom's relay is a little clunky but it works. Let's use an exemple:

Say your english>spanish interpreter is interpreting, and your spanish>french interpreters need to interpret from them. The sp>fr interpreter will need to change their audio from "main audio" to "spanish", and your speaker will need to be aware of the extra delay created by the double "decalage".

Happy to have a chat if it's any use... www.french-marketing.com

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

@MarionFM Thank you for your detailed response to @Kakusse's inquiry!

@Kakusse if you found this reply helpful, please click Accept as Solution on their reply so that other users with a similar question can easily find this post. 

Thank you! 

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?