cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone not working

Talktherapy
Listener

I am having a problem with the microphone suddenly not working on a Zoom call, it used to work fine now it doesn’t. I’ve completed all the trouble-shooting tasks that Zoom suggest, and it works if I do a test, and it also work on other applications, so I know it’s not my device (IPad pro)  but its still not working. I can use headphones to use the microphone, but I don’t want to use headphones all the time. Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @Talktherapy 

Have you tried uninstalling the Zoom app on your iPad, doing a quick restart, and then installing Zoom again? That can often reset permissions or access to audio devices such as the mic, which might help in this case. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Bort

Hi @Talktherapy 

Have you tried uninstalling the Zoom app on your iPad, doing a quick restart, and then installing Zoom again? That can often reset permissions or access to audio devices such as the mic, which might help in this case. 

Hi Bort, I tried this and it worked, thank you so much for your suggestion. I had tried doing these things separately - restarting the iPad and also uninstalling and re-installing Zoom, but not in the order you suggested, which worked instantly. Thank you so much and I  hope that this helps others who encounter this problem. 

Bort

Hi @Talktherapy

Great to hear it worked and glad I could help! 

Bort, I tried this and it did not work for me. The microphone works when I do a system test, and Windows 10 shows me that Zoom is using the microphone, but Zoom does not register the input. I have also checked the privacy settings, and access is on for Zoom. 

Bort

Hi @Beth_S 

Zoom just released an update today for the desktop client. Please try updating to 5.7.5 and see if that helps the issue you're having. 

That is the version I just downloaded after having uninstalled and restarted.  It does not register input on any mic setting.  I finally get the error message that says "device not working", except that it is -- everywhere but on Zoom.

It might be helpful to know that I just tried plugging in a blue snowball external mic for a Zoom meeting. Zoom recognized it as an option, but did not receive input to make the mic work. 

I am having the exact same problem. Did you resolve your issue? 

how do I do the update you suggested above?

Hi bort, my mic is not working but it is not only working in my laptop, and my classmates can't hear me i tried uninstalling the Zoom app doing a quick restart, and then installing Zoom again. It is still not working what do i need to do i need this for my online class

I am suddenly encountering this issue too. Tried solution above and no improvement. My speech comes through as spotty to listeners. It doesn't happen with other video conferences apps, so seems to be specific to Zoom. Any other ideas?

I have a fix. My IT team found this other thread that resolved my issue. Many people have suddenly found their sound going bad inexplicably. Hopefully these tweaks will work for others. Re: Microphone stopped working - Zoom Community

Hi Bort, we are experiencing a similar problem with Windows11. Zoom recognizes the external soundcard (as microphone) it is a Rubix22 (Roland) for Live Music but requires a switching of (changing the microphone device) and switching it on a gain to be functioning. So at first, there is no sound, even if it is selected in Zoom. It seems like bug to us. Since we have a few seniors to operate Zoom, it would be nice to function at first place. Do you recommend the same procedure (de-install, boot, re-install)? Or is ther another magic trick? Thanks. 

Hi I uninstalled the Zoom app and re downloaded it.

My Mic input is not working. Not even thru testing it

Ok I will uninstall again and do a reset and re install. The last time I just uninstall and re installed.

Russpsych
Listener

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop with Windows 11, and my microphone is not working either. Tried uninstalling Zoom, but that did not work. It usually works for about 5 minutes and then stops working. Please help.

i have the same problem with Dell inspiron. i can hear meeting but they cannot hear me

help please

SteveR
Listener

I have a fix. My IT team found this other thread that resolved my issue. Many people have suddenly found their sound going bad inexplicably. Hopefully these tweaks will work for others. Re: Microphone stopped working - Zoom Community

Zoomnotworking
Listener
  1. My mic stopped working during a panel job interview.  Great -- wonderful.   FIX THIS!!!!!!  I worked it for hours and nothing worked!

Valilou
Listener

Hello ! I want to attend a zoom meeting in my navigator, even if my computer has no microphone. That's not a problem because I only want to listen. But zoom continues on telling me, every 30 seconds, "your navigator doesn't allow you using your microphone" and interrupts the audio sound ! I'm unable to follow the meeting with so many interruptions. Does someone have a solution please ?