cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone issues on Bluetooth Headphones - Android App

michjhe1
Listener

I have a recent issue with the Android App of Zoom. I am using Bluetooth headphones (I have used multiple pairs to rule out its the headphone issue), when I enter a meeting,  will connect to meetings & receive audio from the meeting, however for some reason it is using my phones microphone (despite audio coming through my headphones) vs my headphones microphone.

I have tested just making calls on my phone through my Bluetooth headphones and it works just fine  as the Mic is picking up from my headphones. 

I just can't seem to solve this issue. Never was a problem until about a month ago. Using same phone S21 Ultra. I can call into meetings, then video in with my phone. It just isn't ideal and the audio quality isn't nearly as clear. HELP!

57 REPLIES 57

I turned off   "Dolby Atmos" on my cell phone, zoom started to work again on my Bluetooth headphone.  

I also have the same problem. I'm using a Galaxy S22 Ultra.

Both galaxy buds live and airpod don't work. 

I have cleared cache and data in settings, and it worked for a few days.

But, it doesn't work again now. 

I tried cache and data clear again, but it's useless this time. 

I tried dolby atmos off, but it doesn't work for me. 

My wife is using Z Flip 3 and the problem doesn't appear on her phone. 

I guess this is because multiple bluetooth device have been setup on the cell phone. 

1. Turn off Bluetooth on cell phone

2. Power off headphone

3. reboot cell phone

4. Start zoom

5. turn on Bluetooth on phone

6. power on headphone

the steps are going to reset bluetooth device sequence on Zoom . Once a new device added on the cell phone , you may need to do this again. 

this must be a Zoom app issue, because there is no way to switch between BT devices. 

update: this clearing cache/data no longer does the trick. back to square one

KenYu
Listener

I turned off   "Dolby Atmos" on my cell phone, zoom started to work again on my Bluetooth headphone.  

NotAClue
Listener

Dunno if it will work for you guys but I had this issue and it was solved once I navigated to my Bluetooth device settings and changed the Audio Device Type from Others to Speakers or Headphones.

My phone is a Samsung S22. 

> Dunno if it will work for you guys but I had this issue and it was solved once I navigated to my Bluetooth device settings and changed the Audio Device Type from Others to Speakers or Headphones.

I tried it. But it doesn't work for me.

digihill
Listener

Android BLOCKS the function of any Bluetooth Microphone on Android OS unless it involves a phone call. The only way to use a Bluetooth microphone on Android that doesn't involve a phone call is to unlock the Android phone & disable that Bluetooth block or use an iPhone instead that doesn't block Bluetooth microphones at all. Contact Google, the parent company of Android & tell them to stop blocking Bluetooth microphones for other uses 📱

Interesting!  Others have said that WhatsApp and others have manual switches that can activate the Bluetooth mike for one call but it must be done each time.  I found a video on YouTube that suggested an app called Open Camera had a setting that would act as a workaround for this, but I have not tested it yet.  That suggests there may be some way to circumvent the barrier without rooting the phone.  It seems ludicrous that they would do something that annoying without any customer dialog.

The bluetooth headsets work now.  My problem is resolved.

WTF are you talking about, Android has no such issue and has never had. Every other app in the universe works as expected with Bluetooth, it's just zoom being incompetent here

ckm_kent
Listener

whats the update? still issue happen on samsung s22ultra here!

Brianjherr
Listener

I have a similar issue. 

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G.

A couple months ago, the Bluetooth connectivity in the app stopped working. 

I tried ensuring my headphones were 100% charged. No help.

I rebooted. No help.

I disconnected and repaired. No help.

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled. No help.

Every single app I have works fine. Except Zoom. So frustrating.

PropHeads
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

This has been a problem for over two years. Zoom JUST DOESN'T CARE that their customers' experience is terrible. I'm switching to a new service.

I was able to fix mine after a week. It was the " Nearby devices" in the android settings, then RESTART.  It finally worked.

yuridm
Listener

I SOLVED the same issue by granting android permission Nearby devices to zoom app.

Looks like they have resolved the issue.  The original problem did not depend on permissions.

scottb3
Listener

I had this same problem. You can't fix it while running the Zoom app on your Android phone. You need to go to Android Settings, then Apps, then select Zoom, then Permissions, and give Zoom permission to "Nearby devices". Just to be safe, I also then rebooted my phone. That did the trick for me. The next time I fired up the Zoom app with the bluetooth headset connected, it just worked. I don't have to do this for other apps, just Zoom on Android.