cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make "Original Sound for Musicians" Persistent?

WJF
Listener

Hi -

Just wondering if anyone might help me to solve a minor annoyance ... specifically ...

Is there a way to set "Original Sound for Musicians" to default, so that I don't have to click the 'original sound' button 'on' (which I often forget to do)?

I remember that in an older version, you could automatically turn 'original' sound on by selecting a microphone that you wanted to always use it.  In the last several, most recent versions that functionality seems to have been removed.

Has anyone figured out a way to make using original sound the default?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to your replies.

13 REPLIES 13

theirongiant
Listener

No, sadly, Zoom disabled this some time around November.  You should drop them a line to make this a new feature that users can enable on their instance if they want.

I actually did drop a line into their support team back at least a month ago. I never heard back from anyone. Frustrating ...

Then perhaps this might encourage you: I reached out to SHURE Microphones about this issue because I bought their MV88+ stereo microphone.  They confirmed that Zoom sends in mono no matter the microphone setting.  

SHURE is going to open their own internal ticket to work with Zoom so that their microphones (and, ideally, any stereo audio input) will be treated correctly and sent in stereo.  Zoom is more likely to take this seriously when it's a large company asking for support to enable a feature in a new or flagship product.  From a technical perspective, it should not be that hard to have audio transmitting in stereo from a mobile phone or iPad; there's not a whole lot of extra processing required.

That is indeed, something to watch out for! Thanks for the 'heads up' on it. Here's hoping that as part of whatever this joint venture produces, it will include the ability to make original sound something that we can default to! 😊

got to get more than you to respond.  One idea I have is to have my students and music buddies who use zoom to do just that.  Submit a "New" feature request to put the "Old" feature back.

"New" why "New" it was there before where once set to either option it "stuck".  It should be a complaint in the requested feature to turn it back on.  If enough musicians and music teachers swamp them with that comment in their "New" features, maybe they'll put it back.

ShelburneUMC
Listener

I too would like to make original sound for musicians the default setting for my account. Has there been any resolution of this issue?

I was told by the tech the no default setting is now a feature and will not be changed.  I'm testing MS Teams as a replacement to Zoom.  Once I confirm it will work with my students, I'll be canceling my subscription with Zoom.

NVUS
Listener

None.  They keep changing stuff with no recourse or complaint system in place.  They simply don't care about customers.  Just got to vote with your wallet.

JaySwaminarayan
Listener

This is really an inconvenience, the old setting was more convenient. I've been with Zoom for nearly 10 years now, and this is the worst setting change they have made in my opinion. Always have to re-enable original sound after disconnects if the Zoom client restarts itself.

Yes, it is a very BIG inconvenience.  Every other software on the market has user configuration settings that stay put as we set them, the users.  They do not consider us musicians' users anymore and I'm leaving as soon as I finish testing and writing up my student's user guides to transition to MS Teams.  Not ideal but the best alternative to staying with Zoom who no longer listens to us users.

How did you go with Teams? 
I'm also very frustrated with this - i would also like a feature to force original sound to all participants -- some of my students just don't know how to fiddle with settings each time. 

Am seriously wanting to shift to something else. 

lagri
Listener

Teams actually address the background suppression issue and it is actually quite user friendly. 

You can create reoccurring meetings as in zoom. There are only too real problems that we have with teams; accessibility and bandwidth. In terms of accessibility, those that don't have Microsoft have had difficulty logging in without downloading the app. In terms of bandwidth, teams does not automatically adjust delivery speed for person with low bandwidth at the same level as zoom.

But if you are trying to stream and record live music.. The other participants in the meeting can actually hear it..