cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking in opposite direction of guest in recorded Zoom meeting

C_N
Listener

I record videos using Zoom where I talk to a guest. I do not mirror my video in settings, and it hasn't been a problem using a MacBook. The recorded video typically has 2 participants (myself and a guest) and when I'm in gallery view, the 2 parties are looking inward towards at one another or looking straight ahead. 

I recently switched to a new computer, and use the same Zoom settings as before. However, in a recorded video, I am now looking noticeably outwards away from the other participant. I've played around with the settings (mirror/do not mirror my video) and in all situations, I am still looking away from the other party in the recorded video! Any ideas or advice on how to fix this - to look more towards the centre of the video, while still being able to watch a guest - would be appreciated! 

2 REPLIES 2

acompton
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Looking directly into the camera lens gives you the appearance of making eye contact with other meeting participants.   It can be difficult to maintain this eye contact while watching other participants video, but hopefully these tips will help you:

1.  Mount your camera to the monitor you will be participating in Zoom Meetings.  If you use multiple monitors and you have the meeting on a different monitor than where your webcam is located, you will appear to be looking elsewhere.

2.  Play with the view settings to see what works best for you.  I personally like to use Gallery View and drag primary speakers closest to the location of my webcam.  You could also use Speaker View, and try to look at the video with peripheral vision while maintaining eye contact with your camera lens.

3.  Plexicam is a radical approach to this problem.  It is an acrylic mounting system allowing you to place the webcam on your actual screen. https://www.plexicam.com/

KellieN
Listener

I don't want to look at the camera, I want to look at the guest and when I record it I want it to look like we're looking at each other, not a camera. How can I set Zoom so I don't look off screen? Thank you!