cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Echo trouble

Pschulen
Listener

I conduct meetings using a MacBook Pro. I have another iPhone in the same room being used as a camera with the mic turned off. The iPhone is signed in as a guest. No problem. I wanted to turn the mic off on my laptop and instead use the mic on the iPhone. When I do that there is a terrible echo. Even if I mute my laptop and turn down the microphone all the way in the settings on my laptop, there still is a terrible echo. I thought that would only happen if two mics were being used. I would there be an echo if only one mic is in use? Is there a way to fix this?

2 REPLIES 2

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @Pschulen 

You will get feedback (echo) if you have an open mic on one device, and open speakers on another device.

So if the mic on your iPhone is on, and the speakers on your MacBook are on, you are going to hear yourself - your MacBook is relaying your iPhone mic to you as if it were another participant - which basically it is.

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@Rupert  is correct that the echo is being caused by your Macbook mic picking up its own audio from the iPhone. There are 2 ways to fix this:

1. When you are in that meeting, I suggest you tap the speaker icon in the top-left corner of the meeting window on the iPhone, which will mute outgoing audio. This, combined with being muted on the iPhone, should solve the issue. 
  2. Do not connect to meeting audio on the iPhone. If it connects automatically, just tap More and then Disconnect Audio

Either of these will ensure audio is just handled by your MacBook and avoid further echo issues. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.