cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't hear participants

mytrainerjill
Listener

About a month or so ago Zoom updated something and now I can't hear my participants before or after meetings I used to be able to talk with them before class, then I'd mute them during class, and we could chat again afterwards. What do I need to change? Thanks in advance for your help!

13 REPLIES 13

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @mytrainerjill, thank you for posting for the first time, and welcome to the Zoom Community!

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with hearing your participants before and after Zoom meetings. It's possible that a recent Zoom update might have changed some settings. Let's troubleshoot the problem and get you back on track. Here are some steps you can try:

1. Check Audio Settings: Verify that your audio settings in Zoom are configured correctly. Click on the gear icon (Settings) in the top-right corner of the Zoom desktop app or web client. Check the "Audio" tab to ensure the correct microphone and speaker are selected.
  2. Adjust Meeting Options: During a meeting, click on the arrow (^) next to the microphone icon to access the meeting options. Make sure the "Mute on Entry" option is not enabled. This will allow participants to join the meeting unmuted, and you should be able to hear them.
  3. Unmute Participants: If your participants are muted during the meeting, you can unmute them by clicking on the Participants button on the Zoom toolbar, finding their name in the participant list, and clicking on the "Unmute" button next to their name.
  4. Host Controls: Double-check the host controls to ensure there are no specific settings restricting participant audio before or after the meeting. Go to the Zoom web portal (https://zoom.us) and sign in to your account. Navigate to "Settings" > "Meetings" > "In Meeting (Advanced)" and review the options related to participant audio.
  5. Update Zoom: Make sure you are using the latest version of the Zoom app. Outdated versions may have compatibility issues. You can download the latest version from the Zoom website (https://zoom.us/download).
  6. Test with Different Participants: To rule out participant-specific issues, try conducting a test meeting with different participants to see if the problem persists.
  7. Restart Device and Router: Sometimes, a simple restart of your computer or device, as well as your internet router, can resolve temporary glitches affecting audio.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it's possible that the problem may lie with your specific Zoom settings or a deeper technical issue. If this is the case, let me know!

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Hi,

i have the exact same problem with my account. I am the admin and while all the participants can hear me clearly, i am unable to hear my team members.. Can you check out my account too?

Thanks

Ajay

I cant hear the participants while others can hear me. Also, I tried to test the speakers on Zoom and I cant hear the test ringtone. I dont know what is happening, since my speakers do work. Do you think you can help me?

i have the same problem since a few months. i have tried all the above mentioned suggestions but to no avail. Did any of the other Zoom users with this problem solve this problem? i am still looking for a solution

Я не слышу собеседника. Меня слышно, а я других не слышу уже где то неделю. Настройки не меняла.

SophieH
Listener

I have the same issue and tried everything you have suggested. Could you please have a look so I can use Zoom? If not, I will have to cancel my subscription and go to an other platform unfortunately. 

Kind regards, 

Sophie

Same here...  More info could be helpful.

DanHuber
Participant

if you Mute participants in the meeting as the host or cohost then you can only request that they unmute. This is by default I believe. As far as Text Chat there is a setting to enable continuous chat before during and after a meeting. 

mara26
Listener

I cant hear the participants while others can hear me. Also, I tried to test the speakers on Zoom and I cant hear the test ringtone. I dont know what is happening, since my speakers do work.

jdstrum20015
Listener

I have same issue.  People can hear me but I can't hear anyone.  Not a speaker issue.

Nicoletta
Listener

i have the same problem for monts now. i have tried all the suggestions from the Zoom moderator but without succes. it's very annoying. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

mytrainerjill
Listener

I can’t even tell you what helped. Run the tests it tells you to before you start. (Test microphone & speakers?)  I think I toggled something in audio (maybe advanced settings?) that finally worked. 

Valgleave
Listener

This was the solution for me: Select: Windows/Settings/System/Sound/Advanced/Volume Mixer/Apps - find Zoom in Apps and make sure it is not muted. We found it was crossed out and were able to unmute it and all works now. Good luck  (the problem was unusual!)