cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANNOT START VIDEO

RDiPesa
Listener

I am getting the "Cannot start video  Failed to start the video camera. Please select another video camera in Settings" error message.

When I go into Zoom's "Video Settings" my camera works but when I click on "Start Video" I get the error message.  I have an HP 23-q113w all-in-one with a built-in camera that works fine with my other apps. I have reinstalled Zoom and turned on and off all the settings in "Video Settings."  Any other suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @RDiPesa thank you for posting for the first time and welcome to the Zoom Community!

Can you check that your camera is not being used by any other applications at the same time? Also, make sure your Zoom app is updated to the latest version. As the last troubleshooting step, I would suggest completely uninstalling Zoom, restarting your device, and then installing Zoom again. Here's how: https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0065146

Let me know if that helps!

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

There are no other apps using the camera.  I fully uninstalled and reinstalled with the latest version from the website.  The camera works when I am in the Zoom settings but gives the error when I actually try to start video in a meeting.

thanks for getting back to me!

Would you mind testing your video using the instructions outlined here: https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0061836

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

I'm in exactly the same boat. 

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Zoom.
My PC tells me the drivers are up to date.
No other application is using the camera.
The camera permissions are ON.
BitDefender allows camera access to Zoom.
Camera works in test, but video disappears when I join.

Worked fine from 2020, but then suddenly didn't. Something must have changed, but what?

By trial and error, I think I've solved it. 

In video settings, I ticked Original Ratio and it displayed.

God knows what Original Ratio IS! I'm off to look it up.

Try ticking Original Ratio in Video Settings

This did not work for me. I was in a Zoom meeting 3 days ago & everything was fine. This morning I get the dreaded FAILED TO START VIDEO. SELECT ANOTHER CAMERA.

When I go to the settings it does not list my buildt in laptop camera as a choice

I'm experiencing the same on my Dell Inspiron 7506.  I have confirmed via Settings>>>Devices>>>Cameras that my external and internal cameras are working fine, but still receiving a "cannot start video" error message.  I have also confirmed my Windows OS and Zoom app are all up to date.  Please advise.