cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Zoom calls - High speed internet - High latency

zoom_user_no_1
Listener

Hi,

I was reading the articles on your website, and it does not mention how latency affects Zoom.

I'm about to sign up for a new ISP with the following characteristics: 25Mbps DL / 5 Mbps UL, and 600ms ping

Is that ok for using Zoom? I see some people complaining about latency, but I wanted to make sure

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi zoom_user_no_1,

Support article states : Typically, a latency of 150ms or less is recommended.  600ms is quite high.

Available statistics during a meeting

After you access Statistics for meeting and phone, you can view the diagnostic information in the following tabs:

Overall

Note: See our system requirements for recommended specifications.

• CPU: The computer's CPU clock speed and the number of cores. The bars display the utilization of Zoom on the computer's processor compared to the overall CPU utilization.
  • Memory: The total amount of memory available on your computer. The bars display the amount of memory being used by Zoom compared to the overall amount used.
  • Bandwidth: Displays the current amount of data being transmitted by Zoom. Visit Speedtest to check your current bandwidth. Generally, we recommend 1.2Mbps upload/download for HD video.
  • Network Type: Displays whether you're using a wired or wireless connection.
  • Proxy: Indicates whether you're using a proxy server. If you're experiencing issues connecting to Zoom through a proxy server, your account owner or admin should change proxy server settings.
  • Connection Type: The data protocol type the participant is or was using.
  • Data Center: The Zoom Data Center that the participant connected to for the meeting.
  • My Encryption Algorithm: Communication between all meeting participants
    in a given meeting is encrypted using cryptographic keys known only to the devices of those participants.
  • Version: Displays the Zoom desktop client version number that you are currently using.

Audio, Video, and Screen Sharing

• Frequency (only applies to audio): The audio frequency sample rate being sent and received. Typically a sample rate in the range of 16 to 48kHz is acceptable. A higher frequency means better audio quality.
  • Latency: The delay between a packet being sent and received. Typically, a latency of 150ms or less is recommended. Higher latency values will result in noticeable delays between video and audio. For example, the time between you speaking and the other user receiving the audio on their end.
  • Jitter: The variation in the time between packets arriving, caused by network congestion, timing drift, or route changes. Typically, a jitter of 40ms or less is recommended.
  • Packet Loss - Avg(Max): The amount of data that fails to reach the final destination. Typically, a packet loss of 2% or less is recommended.
  • Resolution (only applies to video): The number of pixels in each dimension that can be displayed by your video camera. Higher resolution usually means higher quality. A resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels is recommended. See our list of suggested HD cameras.
  • Frames Per Second (only applies to video): The rate at which your video camera can produce unique images or frames. Zoom supports a frame rate of up to 30fps. Typically, a frame rate close to 30fps is recommended. See our list of suggested HD cameras.

Accessing meeting and phone statistics – Zoom Support

You can also run the Zoom network connectivity to see what you have in terms of your network connection.

Zoom Network Connectivity Tool – Zoom Support

Did my response answer your question? If so, please don't forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution.

thanks,  eliot