cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic muting after breakout session

GillesBouche
Listener

My own mic as a moderator and/or those of my students are often automatically muted when we return from a breakout session. Is there a way to avoid this?

8 REPLIES 8

chrismenard7
Community Champion | Customer

Hello. In my testing with audio and breakout rooms, even if everyone is unmuted when they are sent to breakout rooms when they returned to the Main Room, they get muted. I got a message that the host muted everyone when returning to the main room. This is probably a security feature. It falls in line with the host's ability to Mute All, but the host can't Unmute all. 

One suggestion is to Broadcast Audio to all breakout rooms and let users know they need to Unmute. Broadcast Audio is fairly new, but it is a great feature. Here is a short video I created (it starts at 28 seconds). https://youtu.be/ZFdt6FwJh_k

If you have any follow-up questions, please let me know. 

Jameswalter
Participant

Navigate to “Hardware and Sound” > “Sound”.
In the pop–up Sound window, click “Playback” Tab, highlight “Speakers” and click on “Properties”.
In the pop-up Speakers Properties window click “Advanced” tab.
Uncheck all (four) check boxes, click “Apply” and “Ok”.

Regards,
James

kjhartma

My understanding when testing (and this was a while ago) was that if you scheduled your meeting to have attendees enter the main room on mute, when they return from the breakout room, they will come in with their mics muted, even if they had unmuted in the breakout room.

ktakayama
Listener

This is an incredibly annoying "feature" (for those that think this is a security feature).

The experience is this: As the prof I visit as many breakout rooms as possible, maybe half a dozen in a few minutes. EVERY time I exit a room, every student is muted. They have to un-mute themselves to continue their breakout room conversations. How annoying is that, to be in the middle of a sentence and having to unmute MANY times in a 5 minute time span.

susanwcox
Listener

I have the same issue. I constantly move between breakout rooms and the automatic mute is VERY annoying. Does Zoom even listen to these issues?  They should offer a setting where it is an option, not mandatory. 

Frank_TB

Sorry, I disagree with you. Having a lecture of three hundred students all come back from breakout rooms unmuted would be chaos. This is an education issue where you need to explain to your students what to expect when they return from a BO room.

This is well documented in Zoom support materials.

It has always been best practice since the early days of video conferencing to have your mic off when you are not speaking.

Regards

susanwcox
Listener

But I don't use Zoom the way you do.  Is my use any less valid? All I am asking for is a setting that lets the user choose how this works.  

zedlouder3
Listener

check the settings within your video conferencing platform to see if there are any options related to muting participants during or after breakout sessions. Some platforms have features that automatically mute participants when entering or leaving breakout rooms. Adjusting these settings of a zambian music may resolve the issue. If you are the host of the meeting, make sure you are familiar with the host controls and settings. Double-check that there are no specific settings enabled that mute participants when transitioning from a breakout session back to the main meeting room.  If you are a participant, review your audio settings to ensure that your microphone is not being automatically muted when you exit a breakout session. Check if there are any specific settings within the platform's audio settings that control this behavior. Ensure that you have the latest version of the video conferencing software installed. Updates often include bug fixes and improvements that can address issues related to muting during or after breakout sessions...