Check out our new Work Transformation Summit page, and join our upcoming event to learn how leading organizations are building a smarter hybrid workspace for their employees.

Visit the page
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Host unable to join

mmgonzalez
Listener

My co-host was unable to login and received the message "host cannot join the meeting." They ended up having to sign in through another account. Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RN
Zoom Moderator

Hey @Stacy8 @mmgonzalez thank you for both of your replies! If you haven't already suggest the Host, alternative host, and co-hosts to look into the Roles in a meeting KB article. The Host is the one that assigns Co-hosts and alternative hosts, so I could double-check your role and the assignment from the host.

• Co-hosts: Shares most of the controls that hosts have, allowing the co-host to manage the administrative side of the meeting, such as managing attendees. The host must assign a co-host during the meeting (so the host will need to start the meeting and be in the meeting before doing this) Co-hosts cannot start a meeting. If a host needs someone else to start the meeting, they can assign an alternative host.
  • Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls as co-hosts, but can also start the meeting. Hosts can assign alternative hosts when they schedule a meeting.

Leverage cool features and how to's from the Community Center. If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button! ⤵️

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RN
Zoom Moderator

Hi @mmgonzalez, welcome to the community! It's been some time since you've posted this but are you referring to co-host or alternative host? Both are a little different.

Leverage cool features and how to's from the Community Center. If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button! ⤵️

Hello, RN! Our staff in our organization is frequently experiencing the same issue. The person was assigned as co-host for the meeting. Before the meeting started, the co-host tried to log into Zoom. She received a message saying that she was not listed as a co-host. Then she tried to log in to the meeting using the link in her Outlook calendar and it wouldn't allow her in because it said she was a co-host. I want to understand how to correctly assign a co-host and to also understand clearly how to troubleshoot if this should happen again.

Thank you!

I believe alternative host. Thanks.

Stacy8
Listener

One more thing... I also would like to better understand when you should assign someone as a co-host and when it is best to assign someone as an alternate host. I think this may be where our org is experiencing some confusion.

Thanks again for any help you can provide!

RN
Zoom Moderator

Hey @Stacy8 @mmgonzalez thank you for both of your replies! If you haven't already suggest the Host, alternative host, and co-hosts to look into the Roles in a meeting KB article. The Host is the one that assigns Co-hosts and alternative hosts, so I could double-check your role and the assignment from the host.

• Co-hosts: Shares most of the controls that hosts have, allowing the co-host to manage the administrative side of the meeting, such as managing attendees. The host must assign a co-host during the meeting (so the host will need to start the meeting and be in the meeting before doing this) Co-hosts cannot start a meeting. If a host needs someone else to start the meeting, they can assign an alternative host.
  • Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls as co-hosts, but can also start the meeting. Hosts can assign alternative hosts when they schedule a meeting.