cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All of Computer Lags After Joining Zoom Meetings (all solutions tried)

nslinkard
Listener

Been having this problem for two months with no resolution.

Computer is hooked up to Dual Monitors and works fine for the day until I join a Zoom Meeting at which point ALL of the computers apps, moving my mouse around the screen, etc. all lags. 

AGAIN, computer only lags once I join the Zoom Meeting, even if my mic and camera are off and I'm not screensharing. All apps lag. Mouse movement lags bad which has nothing to do with internet. 

About half of the time, I can unplug from the dual monitors and it'll speed up. Sometimes it requires restarting my computer for the computer to stop lagging even after the call. 

Hardware & Software:

- Dell Latitude 7430 (new in March 2023) / 12th Gen Intel Core i7-1265U 1.80GHz / 32GB Ram / 64-bit, x64-based processor /Windows 11 Enterprise version 22H2

- TWO Dell 2422HE monitors with built-in docking station, daisy-chained and plugged into laptop via USB-C. 

Modem hardwired to Monitors. 

- Zoom v 5.16.1 (22523)....the most up-to-date available for my company as of 9/26/2023. 

- Internet Speed Off of VPN: Download 295 MBPS (13 latency), Upload 294mbps (10 latency)

- Internet Speed On VPN: Download 20mbps (112 latency), Upload 54mbps (118 latency) 

Solutions Tried: (restarted after all of them)

- Deleting Zoom, Reinstalling. 

- Checking for BIOS updates daily.

- Checking for Zoom updates daily.

- Manually checked Graphics Driver Updates

- Manually checked monitor updates. 

- I have tried all of these Zoom Settings - checked and unchecked all of these. restarted after unchecking/checking each. 'Use dual monitors' in General, Otimpize quality of the video I send with de-noise, optimize quality of the video I receive with super resolution, ALL of the hardware acceleration options, Video Rendering Method -> Direct3D9. 'Use TCP connection for screensharing' Use hardware acceleration for screensharing and to optimize video sharing. 

- I had another set of dual monitors (Spectre brand, lower resolution) and connected to those with an external docking station. Same issue exists. 

- Zoom on Cisco VPN and off of VPN. 

- My previous company laptop ran on Zoom Meetings fine with these monitor set ups. 

- I've tried this hardwired to monitor, and not hardwired. 

- I'll close all apps but Google Chrome and/or Excel during the Zoom Meeting and it doesn't help. 

- CPU and Memory rarely get above 60% and I have never seen them get above 70% even when computer is lagging like crazy. 

- Processes that seem to correlate with when I join a Zoom Meeting and the computer starting to run slow: 'Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation' and sometimes 'System interrupt'

Any suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I too, am on Windows 11 Pro (corporate).

We deleted and reinstalled 20+ different drivers across laptop specific, ethernet, wifi, graphics, and zoom and none worked, so I ordered a new laptop.

I finally found one-person online that said the CPU and/or GPU will overheat even if it doesn't show that they're maxing out. He told me to frequently check the bottom of the laptop's temperature and see if computer lag correlates with A) Joining a Zoom Meeting and B) Computer lag starting, and sure enough that seemed to be the case.

I only had three days of testing before my new laptop showed up, but once I positioned my laptop fan/heat vents from lying flat on a surface to open air, the lag seemed to be completely gone. The computer stayed cooler too. I'm 90% certain now that it was an over-heating issue. I had the Dell Latitude which after googling is notorious for over-heating when running multiple monitors or other strenuous apps like Zoom. 

If you are unable to immediately get a higher-performing laptop, I'd get a stand that doesn't cover your vents AND touches as little of your laptop as possible so heat dissipates. If you can expense or don't care to spend, I might would even get one of the cooling stands. Otherwise, you could makeshift like I have so far with a book that is holding my laptop off my desk, but allowing ~1 inch of breathing room. 

Sounds like we had the exact same issue, so hope this works for you. I was miserable for 2 months, getting kicked out of client calls while presenting. One week in now without that stress and it's amazing. 

I just ordered this $10 stand from amazon just to be cautious with my new laptop overheating. (Omoton laptop stand for desk ergonomic...)

Let me know if this works so i can troll my company's tech team for never considering over-heating and me figuring it out on my own. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

nslinkard
Listener

Bump

seobusiness
Listener

Experiencing computer lag after joining Zoom meetings can be frustrating, but there are several solutions you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check Internet Connection:

• Ensure that your internet connection is stable and has sufficient bandwidth for video conferencing. A slow or unreliable connection can lead to lag.
  2. Close Unnecessary Applications:

• Close any background applications or processes that might be consuming your computer's resources. Zoom can be resource-intensive, so having other programs running simultaneously can cause lag.
  3. Update Zoom:

• Make sure you're using the latest version of Zoom. Outdated software can sometimes lead to performance issues.
  4. Adjust Zoom Settings:

• In Zoom, go to "Settings" and then "Video." Lower the video quality settings if your computer is struggling to handle high-definition video. You can also reduce the number of visible participants in the gallery view.
  5. Use Hardware Acceleration:

• Enable hardware acceleration in Zoom settings. This offloads some of the video processing tasks to your computer's GPU, which can improve performance.
  6. Update Graphics Drivers:

• Ensure your graphics card drivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can impact video performance.
  7. Check for Background Processes:

• Use the Task Manager (Windows) or Activity Monitor (Mac) to check for any background processes or applications that might be consuming CPU or memory.
  8. Restart Your Computer:

• Sometimes, a simple restart can clear out temporary issues that are causing lag.
  9. Close Other Devices:

• If multiple devices are using the same internet connection, they can compete for bandwidth. Ask others in your household to limit their internet use during important Zoom meetings.
  10. Use a Wired Connection:

• If possible, connect to the internet via an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi. Wired connections are generally more stable for video conferencing.
  11. Upgrade Hardware:

• If you frequently experience lag during Zoom meetings, it may be time to consider upgrading your computer's hardware, such as adding more RAM or upgrading to a faster CPU.
  12. Contact Zoom Support:

• If you've tried all of the above solutions and are still experiencing lag, reach out to Zoom's customer support for assistance. They may be able to provide further guidance or investigate potential issues on their end.

Remember that the specific solution may vary depending on your computer's hardware, operating system, and network conditions. It's a good practice to try multiple solutions and see which one works best for your situation.

As mentioned in my original post, I've tried all of those solutions. Internet Speeds are 300mbps up and download, with less than 5 latency. Only person living in the household. I am hardwired into the modem. 

Why would you just paste in a ChatGPT answer? Not helpful.

Flyfisherman
Listener

I have the same problem with a similar symptom.  My internet speed is throttled WHENEVER I start the Zoom Client.  I go from 900+MBPS Down and 40Up to 8 Down and 4 Up.  However Physical and Wired Connections stay the same speeds.  Whenever I QUIT the Zoom APP/Program on Windows 11 PRo, the speed of my PC Reverts back to higher speeds.  at the reduced internet speed, my zoom meetings all lag now and affect all apps on this PC.  After 5 months.... its the Zoom App/Program and Windows 11~!  I can use Chrome Web Browser and take the Zoom meeting, and everything is fine.  Speed stays throttled down whenever the client/app runs even if not in a meeting or phone call.  

I too, am on Windows 11 Pro (corporate).

We deleted and reinstalled 20+ different drivers across laptop specific, ethernet, wifi, graphics, and zoom and none worked, so I ordered a new laptop.

I finally found one-person online that said the CPU and/or GPU will overheat even if it doesn't show that they're maxing out. He told me to frequently check the bottom of the laptop's temperature and see if computer lag correlates with A) Joining a Zoom Meeting and B) Computer lag starting, and sure enough that seemed to be the case.

I only had three days of testing before my new laptop showed up, but once I positioned my laptop fan/heat vents from lying flat on a surface to open air, the lag seemed to be completely gone. The computer stayed cooler too. I'm 90% certain now that it was an over-heating issue. I had the Dell Latitude which after googling is notorious for over-heating when running multiple monitors or other strenuous apps like Zoom. 

If you are unable to immediately get a higher-performing laptop, I'd get a stand that doesn't cover your vents AND touches as little of your laptop as possible so heat dissipates. If you can expense or don't care to spend, I might would even get one of the cooling stands. Otherwise, you could makeshift like I have so far with a book that is holding my laptop off my desk, but allowing ~1 inch of breathing room. 

Sounds like we had the exact same issue, so hope this works for you. I was miserable for 2 months, getting kicked out of client calls while presenting. One week in now without that stress and it's amazing. 

I just ordered this $10 stand from amazon just to be cautious with my new laptop overheating. (Omoton laptop stand for desk ergonomic...)

Let me know if this works so i can troll my company's tech team for never considering over-heating and me figuring it out on my own. 

thanks! you made my day.

my laggy issue instantly gone after I lift up my laptop.

The issue was not able to be resolved by our service desk.

Did you find any solution.  I'm seeing the same exact thing.  Wish I never upgraded the version.

Jaydiakanwa
Listener

I’m having the same issue. Tried every listed solution, got my cpu looked at for any malware and I even upgraded my hard drive to a 1TB SSD card and nothing works. This all happened suddenly in the middle of a meeting a month ago and it’s still unresolved. 

atashie
Listener

Same, and Zoom is the only app I have that is experiencing this issue. Teams, Google Meet, Loom, everything that requires video performs perfectly fine on my PC, it is just Zoom that is lagging...

Same thing happened for me. I got a new laptop with better specs and haven't had an issue. It seems that Zoom was overloading my PC more than any other app, so definitely a Zoom issue and it's frustrating they are so quiet about it. @seobusiness 

BarrettJoel
Listener

For the past two months while using Zoom on my Dell Latitude 7430 with dual monitors. Strangely, once I join a Zoom Meeting, the entire system experiences lag, affecting all applications and even mouse movement, regardless of whether my mic and camera are active or not. I've noticed that about half the time, unplugging from the dual monitors seems to alleviate the lag, but sometimes a complete system restart is required even after the Zoom call ends. click here 

Improviz
Listener

I know this post is a bit old. The red flags for me are "docking station" and "daisychained monitors". Are you using USB C/Lightning to connect an external dock to the laptop? And are you then feeding 2 monitors from a single connection to the dock? (Displayport or ??). If your laptop has a connection that will work with one of your monitors, my first suggestion would be to ditch the dock, and try a zoom meeting with 1 monitor connected directly to the laptop. A lot of less-expensive external docks (and some expensive ones) get overwhelmed trying to push bandwidth for dual monitors thru the USB C connection. If you're daisychaining the monitors, you're adding a 2nd potential data bottleneck after the dock, and maybe overworking the graphics capabilities of the dock itself. Or, if you can "un-daisychain" the monitors and run them each off their own connection to the dock? Or run 1 off the dock, and 1 on your laptop. I'd start first by cutting the dock out altogether. That will give you the best information.

MhmdFarhan
Listener

Hello, I'm also experiencing the same problem. actually my laptop specifications are still very adequate with an 8th generation Core i7 processor with 32 gigs of RAM. I'm very surprised because for some reason my zoom always runs like a very heavy application, while my games that are much heavier than zoom can be played smoothly, after struggling for some time to find a solution I finally found a solution where the video rendering method is set on auto and for W11 it should be set on Direct3D11, here I attach a link to the web page that solves my problem. hope it can help y'all.🙏

https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/13678-zoom-keeps-crashing

Yerbol
Listener

I have the same problem. After zoom call my Laptop (Microsoft Surface 9) is extremely lagging. If I reboot, everything is ok.

Please help