cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

1080p dropping to 720 when received on iPad.

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer

When I am in a 1080p Meeting, and when I am sending 1080p just fine, if I become Active Speaker when an iPad is joined elsewhere in the meeting, or when an iPad Participant pins me, me sending resolution drops to 720p - and all other participants in the meeting see my drop in video quality, from 1080p to 720p, on their desktop clients.

This only happens in Meeting, not Webinar (where I am able to set the "always send 1080p" option)

Does anyone know if this is expected behavior? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RajanB
Participant | Zoom Employee

Rupert

I did quite a bit of testing & can confirm your findings. Digging further, it was found that

In Webinar -> iPad is also receiving 1080p & hence all other 1080p participants remain at 1080p

In Meetings -> iPad is, however, receiving 720p & hence all other 1080p participants resolution drops to 720p because Zoom solution won't send 720p & 1080p simultaneously.

The question remains why iPad client is behaving differently for meetings vs webinar.  I would request you to raise a ticket with Zoom support to find the answer. In the meantime, if I do find out something, I'll post the answer. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RajanB

Hi Rupert, This is expected behaviour.

For 1080p, all users should be capable of 1080p. Otherwise the resolution will drop to 720p.

Rupert

But this problem does not occur with cell phones. Having phones in a meeting does not drop the meeting from 1080 to 720.

RajanB

Hi Rupert

Sorry for the confusion. To clarify further...

- I should not have said "all users should be capable of 1080p". 

- 720p+1080p can't be sent simultaneously. What it means is that... if x number of users are receiving 1080p and then another user joins in & requests 720p (because this new user is not capable of receiving 1080p), all the other users who were receiving 1080p will now receive 720p.

- 1080p is not currently supported in mobile clients & hence it does not affect 1080p for other users.

Rupert

Thanks @RajanB 

What is confusing, then, is why Webinar does not have the same behavior.

With Webinar I am able to set "always send 1080p" - and then the presence of an iPad does not drop anyone to 720.

It would be great if Meeting had this same option.

RajanB

Hi Rupert, let me test it & get back to you.

BTW did iPad user join as attendee or panellist/host?

Rupert

Hi @RajanB 

Thank you.

We tested with the iPad both as Attendee, and as Panellist. Neither case dropped the Active Speaker down to 720 send - to the Panellists or the Attendees.

We discussed the issue here: https://youtu.be/RTJfbXTZ8q0?t=43

Thanks again.

Rupert

RajanB

Rupert

I did quite a bit of testing & can confirm your findings. Digging further, it was found that

In Webinar -> iPad is also receiving 1080p & hence all other 1080p participants remain at 1080p

In Meetings -> iPad is, however, receiving 720p & hence all other 1080p participants resolution drops to 720p because Zoom solution won't send 720p & 1080p simultaneously.

The question remains why iPad client is behaving differently for meetings vs webinar.  I would request you to raise a ticket with Zoom support to find the answer. In the meantime, if I do find out something, I'll post the answer.