cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webinar source tracking link numbers appear too high

uw_user
Listener

I have a recurring webinar with several source tracking links for different campaigns. For one campaign in particular, the "visitors" number seems very high, especially when compared to the LinkedIn data that shows engagement with our ads that the source tracking link was used for (e.g., Zoom saying 3000 visitors, but LinkedIn showing only 1000 impressions, with even fewer clicks, and we actually didn't generate any registrations at all). We only posted this on LinkedIn, no where else. Is it possible for this visitors number to be inflated on the Zoom end, perhaps for some unknown technical reason?  We know we need to revisit our campaign strategy and CTA in general, but I'm specifically wondering how the Zoom visitors are so much higher than what LinkedIn says. 

Thanks for any input!

3 REPLIES 3

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @uw_user.

There’s a few reasons for this. LinkedIn only tracks direct clicks on their own link, though if someone shared the LinkedIn link, clicks to that will also be tracked by LinkedIn. But if anyone visits the link then forwards the target link (the actual Zoom registration link), there’s no way for LinkedIn to track that. 

I’ve also seen situations where clients aren’t careful about not posting a tracking-link-enabled URL to another site. Not saying you’ve done that – but has anyone else done it? (grabbed the Zoom link and posted somewhere else). It’s hard to know.

Personally, I’d trust the Zoom number over LinkedIn for “full reach” purposes — the LinkedIn number only tells you how effective LinkedIn is, and can’t track the spillover from LinkedIn. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

smartymarketing
Listener

This doesn't seem to line up. Our ads are showing 10x LESS than what Zoom is showing. How in the world could we have such a crazy misreporting?

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @smartymarketing.

You don't say how your ad analytics are being reported.  Normally, ads and other social media links track clicks by embedding their own URL into the web page and after counting the click, redirect the visitor to the target web page, which also includes the source tracking ID, which Zoom then also counts as a click.

But if the user then copies that URL and sends it to 9 friends who also click it, or if they copy that URL and put it in their social media, YOUR ad link will not be present and won't be counted, but Zoom's source link will be counted.

If a link is really useful to people, they'll share it.  It's a good sign if your Zoom sources are clicked a lot more than your ad or social media clicks... people are sharing!!  When your ads and social media clicks are very close to your Zoom source tracking clicks, to me it means nobody liked your content enough to share it with others. 

I should build a course on this and call it "Comparative Analytics 101".  

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !