cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for Visitor Management printers

Caboose117
Listener

Currently trialing out the new visitor management. Since it has been released in the last month anyone have recommendations for printers for reception for their guests/visitors? Ideally, print as a sticker, or if anyone has better suggestion?

9 REPLIES 9

JEstes
Listener

Zoom has recommended the Brother QL-820NWB.   They run a little over $200.  We have set one up for a test and eventually got it working.  You can attach it either by a USB cable, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. (We tested it both via Wi-Fi & Bluetooth). You may need to download the drivers from Brother to make it work.  Order the DK-1234 labels to print the badges.

Also, we initially encountered printer errors.  Turns out we needed to update the printer settings to make the paper size 2.3"x3.4" to match the paper size in the printer.  Once we did this, it worked.  We also tested both portrait and landscape.  Portrait appears to work better for our needs.

Caboose117
Listener

Just received my QL-820NWB and can't figure out the print settings. I've done the same using 2.3"3.4". Any other tips that I can use. Ive used both the 2.4" roll and the 1.1" that was provided in the box 

JEstes
Listener

So did you get the Paper size set up for the printer in the Printer Preferences like below?

JEstes_0-1709830082399.png

Once we did this, and the paper size on the printer, when we printed a badge everything worked!

JEstes_1-1709830219812.png

Appreciate your help on this but getting the error "The roll of labels or tape inside the machine does not match the one seelcted in the application". Can I confirm you are using the label 62mm x 5m (2.4" x 16.4"). The label came with the printer 

That was the same error we received when we got our printer and was attempting to print, using the rolls that came with the printer.  While we were working through the error and talking to Mr. Google was less than helpful we realized the labels that came with the printer were too small for what we were looking to do.  We circled back and ordered DK-1234.  When those came in we initially received the same error until we figured out the mismatch issue by reading the details on the error message.  From there it was a matter of getting the printer preferences on the device to match with the paper size.  Once we did that as shown in the previous post everything started working.  If it is anything past that, not sure what it would be.

Rc2001
Listener

I'm using the same gear as recommended here, and it all works, but the quality of printing the visitor's picture is pretty saturated. I tried changing the settings on the printer(red -6, Black 0, but nothing). Even if the printer only prints in red/black on the envoy side without any modification, it prints very clearly and smoothly. (we are moving out from Envoy to Zoom that's why the question.)

We have the same issue with picture quality.  From everything we have been able to find, that's about as good as it gets.  The office manager indicated that when she worked for a different company they had similar issues with their visitor badge printer (was not a Brother and they were not it utilizing Zoom as visitor management tool).  We have found that lighting helps, but it does not help if the visitor provides a picture and the lighting is not good.

Rc2001
Listener

I opened a ticket with Zoom Support, but like you say, I doubt there's much to it since it looks like Envoy is doing some "retouching" when you send the Label to print(everything happens in the Cloud with that system; the iPad just triggers the command from the Ipad and the label prints automatically). I mean, the Concept is good, but I feel like they need to work on a few details so we can get it to work as closely as Envoy does(like to resolve this issue with the badge quality and provide a webhook so we can connect to Slack, Meraki, etc.).
Right now, it is a bit annoying that the label printing can't just happen once the check-in is done on the iPad but having to add more work to reception to print it from their laptop instead.

JEstes
Listener

Agreed, but keep in mind that Visitor Management was only rolled out a couple of months ago.  In talking with the Zoom folks, they have already identified some areas of improvement which are in the works and should show up soon.  Most of that was based upon feedback from their customer base.  Hopefully Zoom Support can take that and add it to the roadmap, but also if you have an acct rep and engineer assigned to your account, connect with them to discuss and see if they can help in getting it added to the wish list.  That, we have found, to be productive also.