cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IVR vs Auto Responder

dsangel485
Listener

Looking for info on the difference between these two items?

I want to have a customer call and "dial 1" for one department and "dial 2) for another dept. 

It seems like with an auto responder, I can set up my own custom message and have customers dial the three digit extensions that I have set up. 

It seems like the IVR will do the same however just require me to just press "1" or "2" and then pick an option where that lets you route the call. 

I am assuming that I would have the ability to set up "sub" menus where I can say something like "for all other calls, press 3" and then that routes to a different IVR? with more options?

I am just a little confused with the difference between these items and the hierarchy 

Is there any benefit to one vs the other? Other then pressing only a single digit vs three digits to get to an extension?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

crissyd
Participant | Zoom Employee
Participant | Zoom Employee

@dsangel485 The IVR menu can do both. You can add an audio prompt that will give the caller the option to dial the party's extension directly or press 1, 2 or any key to be directed to a specific call queue, user or another auto receptionist.

You may check this article about Creating an interactive voice response system.