cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom causes BSOD

druekberg
Listener

I've been plagued with this issue for months. I've owned this ASUS Zenbook for almost a year, but only in the last 3 months or so has Zoom caused BSODs almost every session. I've tried various solutions. I contacted the manufacturer of the dock I use, Plugable, and uploaded minidump files. They said it's due to Norton 360 Security (maybe antivirus) but a Norton tech could not trace the problem to their software. I disabled antivirus and the firewall and no improvement. Plugable also thought it might be due to using an older monitor (more than 10 years old) so I bought a new one. No help. I saw on a Zoom forum it might be due to my bluetooth headset, so I changed Zoom "Audio-Advanced-Signal processing by Windows audio device drivers" to "Off." And then my next meeting I did not even use my Bluetooth headset, I used my external speakers. Another BSOD. Here are my minidump files.

ASUS M3702WFA. All drivers and Windows components up to date. 

Help! 

4 REPLIES 4

druekberg
Listener

This problem seemed to disappear for a few weeks after I found a post that suggested disabling some MS services. I disabled and re-enabled them again and the problem seemed to disappear, but this morning is back. I can't remember what services I disabled. Any help is appreciated. 

edhald
Listener

After reading these posts and my own experiences, I now think that some laptops and notebooks just aren't compatible with the zoom videos, no matter what we do.  To save me from headaches, I'm now playing back my zoom recordings only on the desktop, and there are no problems.  

By desktop, do you mean a machine distinct from a laptop or notebook? A box or tower? Anyway, I haven't tried testing this with recordings, and don't need to. The problem I'm having is during a live Zoom session. I need to be able to interact, especially when it's the meeting I called, without Zoom crashing my computer. 

edhald
Listener

Yes, I meant a tower (not a laptop or notebook).  I have a Surface Pro 7, and I'm guessing that the new models of laptops and notebooks might have this problem solved such as the Surface Pro 9, but I'm not planning to buy a new one anytime soon.  If you have an older laptop or notebook, maybe you could get a new one and try it and see if it's resolved.  If you don't want to do that, maybe you could try attending zoom meetings on a tower type of desktop computer to see if that works.  I understand that the Surface Pro can't be operated on by technicians, but even if it could, if they added anything, a concern is that it might cause issues with other applications.  I'm content to play back my zoom videos on the desktop tower computer.  When I attend zoom meetings on the Surface Pro 7,  I can participate fully - no issues there.  Playing it back on the Surface Pro 7 caused the whole thing to freeze, including the keyboard.  It happened twice, and both times I turned off the power manually and left it off overnight - fortunately it apparently reset itself.  So I have the workaround using the tower for playback now.