cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Desktop client Version 5.16.2 silently crashes

MDK2023
Listener

On September 29, after I downloaded and installed Version 5.16.2 onto my Windows 10 system, the Zoom client starts, and then quickly and silently ends.  It shows up for just 1 second in Windows Task Manager. I uninstalled it, rebooted, and installed from an earlier version (September 9), and it works fine. Windows Task Manager shows very-high level of disk-drive activity (7200 RPM disk-drive), but that does not affect the usability of Zoom.

Ideas about what's wrong with the latest version?

28 REPLIES 28

R_C_Hess
Listener

I have the same problem installing on a Windows10Pro(64bit) system on 10/15/2023.

KathyRAtl
Listener

Did you get it fixed?

My solution today was to roll back to version 5 16 1 which does work.

I searched far and wide to figure out why my Zoom went from working prior to 10/6 and did not after that date. This answers my problem. I tried the 32 bit version which did not work, uninstalled a multitude of applications that also did not work.

5.16.1 rollback worked!

I'm running an older AMD Phenom II X4 process, which someone below commented that they were running an Phenom II as well. Something happened from 5.16.1 to the later versions that is causing this problem. Zoom should probably take a look at this.

Same here: an AMD Phenom II X4! 

Thank you!  I just tried all that you suggested.  I am NOT a technical person so I really appreciate you spelling out how to do those things.  I had already sent in a support ticket with Zoom.  Hopefully they will get to me to resolve it before my next meeting Monday afternoon. 

Thanks again!

Kathy 

1. Corrupted installation: No. I downloaded the latest Zoom Client onto two different computers. Byte-for-byte, they match. Installation of the software proceeded normally. 

2. Compatibility issue: No. Windows Update reported my version (22H2) is fully updated,  as of late September, when I tried to run the new version.

3. Antivirus or Firewall interference: No. Windows Defender does not "flag" the download. Also, submitting the download to www.VirusTotal.com runs over 50 anti-virus products, and none "flag" the download. I have the "standard" configuration of Windows Firewall; there was no need to create any "rules" to allow the August 2023 version of the Zoom Client to operate.

4. UAC: No. The August 2023 version (and many older versions) had no issues with UAC.

5. Event viewer: No. Nothing found via eventvwr.exe app.

6. Contact Zoom Support: have not tried that, but my impression is that the "free" version gets no support for free.

az10sbum
Listener

I have the exact same problem as far as the 5.16.2 client.  After about 1 second it completely goes away.  ( I watch task manager when I start it.  This happened after an auto-update from 5.16.1 to 5.16.2.  I did a complete uninstall using CleanZoom.exe and then reinstalled 5.16.2 from a downloaded image ZoomInstallerFull.exe, and it behaved identically crashing and disappearing after 1 second. I ran CleanZoom.exe again, and then installed zoom-cloud-meetings-5-16-1.exe.  The 5.16.1 version works fine.  Of course I forgot to turn off the auto update feature so it updated to 5.16.2 and again did the 1 second disappearing act.  I reinstalled 5.16.1 and turned off auto update, and all is good again.  I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3570)

I have exactly the same problem and behavior as version 5.16.2 and I did all the checks indicated, I did the same as you and for now I solved it with 5.16.1, I have AMD 64 bit

I also have a 64 bit AMD

Ditto - Phenom II X4

MDK-2023
Listener

On this forum, somebody wrote that the 32-bit version of Zoom works for them.

KathyRAtl
Listener

After several back and forth with Zoom tech support and telling them that my system "does not support Windows 11."  They sent me links to install older versions.  I have successfully uninstalled and reinstalled 5.15.12 and it is working.  It bothers me that I will not be able to update the software as updates roll out.  

Good luck everybody!

beppe17
Listener

Wy you downgrade to 5.15.2 and not to 5.16.1?

@beppe17 -- it seems reasonable to downgrade to a "known-to-be-working" version, especially if one can find an older copy of "zoominstaller.exe" in one's "download" folder.  The point is to install a USABLE copy of Zoom.

rayanehadad
Listener

hello

beppe17
Listener

If you need to downgrade...

There aren't all the versions but they are enough

https://zoom-us-zoom.it.uptodown.com/windows/versions

joaopft
Listener

The 32 bit version of Zoom 5.15.5 also works (on Windows 10, old AMD Phenom II X6 1055T).

MDK-2023
Listener

The latest is:  Version 5.16.5 (24296) (64-bit)

I have not tried it yet, because I do not to overwrite an older version, which is working fine.

ty20404
Listener

What processor are you running? Myself and one other person on this thread have AMD Phenom II processors. Oldies but goodies, the 5.16.2 update and beyond does not like them apparently.

beppe17
Listener

Mine is too AMD Phenom II X3 720 Processor 2.80 GHz, 8GB ram, Windows 10 updated.

Let's make a club? 🙂

beppe17
Listener

Weird thing... From the link https://zoom.us/it/download the version 5.16.6 and the file is 82.585KB while from https://zoom.us/support/download the file of the same version is 27.770KB. I installed the smaller one above 5.16.1 and it works normally but I don't have the AI (which I don't want). What's in that extra 55MB? Probably the AI...

MDK-2023
Listener

@beppe17 -- does the string "/it/download" imply that you are downloading the IT(alian) version, while the "/support/download" implies the USA version, without the "bulk" of Italian translations of all the menu items and messages?

beppe17
Listener

It is possible, and also that zoom.us/it hosts a version optimized for Italy, but my interface is totally in Italian even so, while the only different thing is that I don't have the AI launcher

ifurman
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Some users have been having issues with Zoom v 5.16 on Windows Servers 2016/2019 and some Windows pc's running older AMD cpu's. Zoom is aware of the issue and plans to fix it in its next release 5.16.10 by the end of the month.

In the meantime, try using 5.15.11 from here as it should work for you until 5.16.10 comes out,  https://zoom-us-zoom.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

Thank you!  I was told that I need to get a new computer and no mention of Zoom planning to fix a known issue.  

4 847 is not a prime number. It is 37 times 131.

ZOOM must have fixed the problem. The current download works fine.