cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording in the cloud vs. on my PC

vaughn_dragland
Listener

Hi: I usually record meetings on my own PC, but recently recorded a meeting in the cloud. I was surprised to see that the recording was completely different! Is this because the "cloud" recording was done from a Mac instead of a PC? Or is there an inherent difference when recording in the cloud vs. on a local machine? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @vaughn_dragland 

While local recordings essentially capture what you see on your end, cloud recordings can capture multiple different layouts at the same time, independent of your view in the session. I'd recommend checking out your settings on the Recording tab of your Settings page and reviewing the support article for more info

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Bort

Hi @vaughn_dragland 

While local recordings essentially capture what you see on your end, cloud recordings can capture multiple different layouts at the same time, independent of your view in the session. I'd recommend checking out your settings on the Recording tab of your Settings page and reviewing the support article for more info

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Thanks Bart!

(i.e., Thanks BORT) ☺

GAR
Attendee

I had a similar situation, but the details are different.  I was hosting a meeting in which I controlled the spotlighting at all times.  That is, I never removed a single speaker who was spotlighted, always replaced or added.  However, when I looked at the cloud recording , I found that very frequently Zoom spotlighted whoever was speaking, even though someone else was spotlighted.  The recording was essentially useless, but fortunately I had also recorded in the device of another participant (who was always in Speaker View), and that recording was correct.  Any idea why this would happen?

MassimoITsorted
Listener

This can be confusing. People "see" spotlighting if the are in "Speaker view". But Cloud recording only displays spotlighting in Gallery recordings!

People only SEE spotlighting if they are in Speaker View

If someone has set their "view" to "Speaker view" they will see the current speaker OR whoever has been spotlighted (up to 9 people).

If their "view" is "Gallery view" they just see that - regardless of any spotlighting (I'm not 100% sure about this, but it may affect the order of the videos with people spotlighted in the top left)

Cloud recordings only show spotlighting in Gallery recording

"Speaker view" cloud recording - records a single video - whoever is speaking ... regardless of any spotlighting. 

"Gallery view" cloud recording - records the whole gallery, but if you use spotlighting then only those videos.

Local recordings show whatever you see on your screen

If you switch between Speaker and Gallery view that will be captured/reflected in your local recording. If one or more (up to 9) people are spotlighted (and you remain in Speaker view) that is what you will see. If and when you switch to gallery view the recording will show that.

Which is why we recommend doing any local recording on a machine that is not needed to monitor or manage anything else.

Good luck. ITsorted

Thank you.  That's really confusing.  It is strange that a recording to the cloud would be affected by what I am choosing to see on my display!   I will try your suggestion.   And since we are at it, the second problem I found with a local recording is that the quality of the audio is not the same as what I am actually getting live.  For instance, if the incoming audio is in stereo, I can hear that on my headphones, but the local recording is in mono; also, the quality of the recording does not match the streamed quality.  To get around that, I am recording the audio in parallel, using Audacity with Speaker Loopback as the source, which gives me the full quality of the streamed audio and is in stereo.  Do you know if the audio in the cloud recording is any better?

GAR

kimberleymb
Listener

Same questions on the audio quality, thanks!