cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My call ends after 5 secs every call

Persie
Listener

Has anyone else experienced their call ending after 5 seconds every single time they use zoon. 

I have a computer with more than enought power, no connection issues, tried different video settings, tried different software / hardware setting, tried different rendering engines, I've gone through troubleshooting list, had a computer technician her for 2 hours, and it can't be resolved.  The technician thought there might be an issue with the latest version of zoom and I should ask anyone if they have experienced this, and whether or not there are any work arounds.  

7 REPLIES 7

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @Persie 

I have a few troubleshooting questions for you, to help narrow this down... 

Is this a new problem - was there no problem at some point previously?

Do you get an error message?

Are you able to re-join a meeting immediately?

Does the Zoom application close completely, or does the meeting just end?

Ae you the Host of your meetings, or a participant?

Have you tried joining without video, or without audio - just as a test?

Are you on a managed network - like in an office or on a campus?

Is there anyone else at your location that is able to use Zoom successfully?

Are you using Windows or Mac?

Knowing these answers will help identify the cause of your problem.

One workaround in the meantime might be to use the web browser to join - have you tried that?

Thanks Rupert, all good questions, here are my answers. 

1. I had  a previous problem with an old computer. The old computer (a NUC) would overheat and the Zoom app and computer would close.  I was told that the NUC did not have enough cooling fans for all the video graphics required on zoom so I bought a new computer - as I need Zoom for my job as a Conference & Training Manager.  I have a Conference I am hosting with potentially hundreds on, on friday, so decided that buying a new computer was a good idea.  It arrived on Saturday. I have a very powerful new computer.  On Tuesday the first zoom call i made on it, the call ended after approx 5-8 seconds and it has done this on every zoom call since on my computer.  I can call from my phone, but I don't have the functionality I need on my phone. 

2. I don't get an error message as my call ends rather than the application closing. 

3. I can re-join immediately but the call ends again after 5-8 seconds.

4. The calls ends. 

5. Both the host and the participants, the call ends. 

6. The call also ends on my computer without the video! and the audio. 

7. I work from home.

8.  I am using Windows 10.

9. Yes after a 2 hour home visit from a computer technician, he suggested I used the web browser and let Zoom know.  This is not ideal though. 

Rupert

Hi @Persie 

Okay, thank you. If you don't mind - I have some more questions..

Are you on WiFi, or a wired connection to your router?

Do you ever restart your internet modem/router as part of the troubleshooting process? 

If you start a new meeting (just by yourself, with no one else joined) - do you have the same problem - does the meeting just end?

Can you get through a successful Test Meeting at https://zoom.us/test ?

Can you ensure you are running the 64-bit version of Zoom? Your tech may have tried this, but the easiest way to be sure would be to over-install it again:

https://zoom.us/client/5.8.1.1435/ZoomInstaller.exe?archType=x64

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

No problem at all about answering more questions, I really appreciate your help.  I really need to find a solution!

1. I am on a wired connection to the router. 

2. Yes we have tried unplugging the internet, the tech guy is confident it is not a connection issue.  The tech tried a different internet source, his own plug in and it was still a problem. 

3. If I host a meeting with myself and no one joins , it does not end. 

4 I have done lots of tests. I get through the audio and video test, it says test ended and then it immediately ends the call. 

5. The tech guy has tested a 64 bit and a 32 bit version of zoom and it is the same problem with both, the call still ends. 

Maybe these answers will help?

Rupert

Hi @Persie 

Thanks again. It's interesting that a meeting on your own does not drop....

Let's keep going, if we can...

Do the meetings that drop always have more than two people? For example - if you started a meeting on your own (which seems stable), waited for a while, and then one other person joined  - do you think the call would drop after 5-8 seconds? 

Is you new machine a laptop or desktop? If a laptop, have you tried with all peripherals disconnected - except power and internet?

Do you have multiple screens, with Zoom running in dual-monitor mode?

Do you have antivirus or firewall installed - other than the standard Windows components?

Have you ever attended a Zoom Webinar successfully, rather than a Meeting?  

What type of account do you have with Zoom? (I ask to know your onward support options). 

Is your Zoom client logged into your Zoom profile? You won't be able to start a meeting without it being logged in, but you would be able to join someone else's without it being logged in. I'd be interested to know if it still happens if you logged out of your client.

You could also try two things at the link below:

1. Check for problem log files

2. Do an in-app Problem Report:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201512326-Troubleshooting-log-for-Windows

Hi - thanks for that further questions.

Q1. The meetings end with two people also. Note they also end when I am running the test.

Q2. The new machine is a PC, with an integrated graphics card. We tested with a stand alone graphics card, and it didn't resolve the issue.

Q3,. We have dual monitors, with zoom running on one monitor.

Q4. Running Norton. However we tested turning off the firewall functionality, with no change.

Q5. We have attended webinars successfully on our old computer, but not on this PC.

Q6. Account type is 'Pro (host)' 

Q7. I apologise, but I don't understand the differentiation between Zoom client and Zoom profile.

Clicking on the support link above, the first steps asks to following. What is the install package they are referring to?

1. Download the install package from the link provided by the Support team. 

I've checked the logs, the folder is empty. Am I checking the correct location?

Persie_0-1634907690247.png

The computer tech who investigated onsite for us mentioned there were no logs because only the call ends, while the app remains open.

I hope this helps.

Rupert

Hi @Persie 

Sorry for the delay.

Regarding the Support Link and Log Files... You looked in the right location. The absence of logs does indicate it's not a crashing issue. Your tech was right.  No need to worry about the mentioned install package right now.

The Zoom "client" is the software application itself (installed on your computer). Your Zoom "profile" I mean to be your Zoom account (your login details basically). So therefore you login to your Zoom account (profile) with your Zoom client (though your client may remember your login for you). 

You can "Sign Out" of your client, by clicking the profile icon (top right in the Zoom app) then choosing "Sign Out". But let's not do that right now.

When your meetings drop, are you actively using your computer - typing for example, or using other applications Or - if you connect to a Zoom call and kept hands off the machine, would the call still drop?

Are you trying to use any extended features in Zoom in your meetings, like transcriptions, or auto-record, that you know of?

Being on a desktop, I'm assuming you are using an external webcam. Is this connected directly to the computer, or via a USB hub or something similar?