cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Window Size (Latest version of Zoom, Mac)

geoffbnyc
Listener

Help!

I just updated Zoom to 5.9.1 (3506) on M1 MacBook Pro running OS 12.0.1 (Monterey). I can no longer make any window in the Zoom app smaller vertically than half of my screen.

I usually shrink the meeting window to a fairly small part of my screen so I can use the rest of the screen for note-taking, so this is a huge problem for me.

Tech support couldn't understand what I meant about "Window size" and just kept suggesting I change "View," which is not relevant or helpful.

Is there anything I can do, or does Zoom now require Mac users to use up half their screen with any Zoom meeting?

Thanks for any advice.

46 REPLIES 46

gleasj
Listener

@RN We would like you to reach out to the PM who is in charge of this feature, and bring our feedback to them.  We would appreciate that they write something to the community regarding this change, whether it was intended or unintended, and if there are plans to look into the issue.

heyzoomer
Listener

I just want to chime in to say that the inability to choose any size is a big deal for me.  I need something between minimum and almost half the screen.   I am about to install an old version of zoom and stop installing updates until it get's fixed.  

JamesPierce
Listener

Adding my voice to this thread. Most frustrating update to zoom in the last 2 years...

Have personally downgraded and will not upgrade under any circumstances until this is fixed.  

Completely breaks any serious workflow apart from having zoom drinks or listening to your boss drone on in a team meeting... I have a big screen, I pity anyone stuck on a laptop trying to read a doc and be on a call.  The suggestion to change screen resolution is laughable for all the reasons listed by others.  The developer that said that, needs to go and have a bit of a think about their choices.

jonkruger
Listener

I found a workaround in the latest Zoom client.

• Open the chat window (attached to the main window)
  • Resize to the smallest size you can
  • Close the chat window - now your Zoom window is really small!

Everything still works, so I don't buy why we can't be allowed to just resize a smaller width.

That's awesome! Thanks for finding this small little bug which will improve my working so much ;-D

@jonkruger wrote:

I found a workaround in the latest Zoom client.

• Open the chat window (attached to the main window)
  • Resize to the smallest size you can
  • Close the chat window - now your Zoom window is really small!

Everything still works, so I don't buy why we can't be allowed to just resize a smaller width.

Looooool! I am literally laughing loud right now. This is _so_ ridiculous. Thanks for that workaround!

It shows that Zoom is actually totally capable of working with a narrower window and that the choice to disallow smaller windows is a total arbitrary und unnecessary one.

JulianP8
Listener

BREAKING NEWS:

With the new Update to Zoom 5.11.3 things seems to be improved! I can narrow the window to the same size as the work around with the chat window.