cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mic Controls not visible for one participant

Melinda
Listener

Hi,

I have a participant who can enter my zoom meetings without the mic being under my control as the host. The mic icon is not visible on their zoom window, in the zoom window drop-down-list or in the participants list.  Where the mic control is usually displayed there is nothing.  And when I hover over the video control menu the Ask to Unmute options does not display. They also can still use their mic when I disable the Unmute Themselves option in the Security drop-down menu.

I can still hear them and they speak with the group without any problem, but I don't have any access to the mic controls and can't turn it off. I've asked them to turn the mic off, and they say they've turned it down on their end. 

Effectively, I have zero control over their wish to speak whenever they want.  Given I run a silent writing group, this opens up a security problem with zoom bombers.  Several of whom I've already had to deal with.  And my first line of defence being to turn off all the controls.  But in this situation I can't turn off their mic.

Has anybody else had this problem, and have you been able to prevent participants from entering the zoom room with total control over their own mic with the mic controls invisible?

3 REPLIES 3

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @Melinda.

There’s two main situations where this occurs. Either the user is attending from two different devices or is dialed in by phone audio only on another device. Normally the phone-only users are shown at the bottom of the Participants list, and it appears this user is the last one in the list (indicating there are no phone-only attendees), so I’d check to see if any other Mic icons are flashing when participant speaks.

If that’s not the situation, I’m not sure what the issue would be. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Thanks Ray,

I don't think this is what's happening because all the users are unique. I know each one and I speak to each as they come in except.

It really is perplexing!? I know the person who does it and while they don't disrupt the zoom room my concern is zoom bombers will work out how to do it which would be painful.

M

Ray_Harwood

It's in the Webinar information (don't edit the webinar, just click the name of the webinar from the Web Portal).  Then scroll down to see this:

Ray_Harwood_0-1688593008156.png

Look in the Invitations tab, under the Registration Settings section.  If the Allow panelists and attendees to join from multiple devices is checked, click the Edit link to the far right, and disable it.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !