cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Number Breakout Rooms

mag
Listener

I am planning a Zoom meeting with 400 participants and would like to create 50 breakout rooms to send the participants to randomly. Is this possible. I am confused with Zoom's documentation on the number of participants and the number of allowed breakout rooms and this is hard for me to test since its so many people. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @mag 

I agree that it is confusing and doesn't make much sense. From what I've found out, it's a very weird technical limitation on the backend. 

As for your question, yes, enabling the Breakout Rooms 100 feature for your account will increase the overall capacity from 50 room/200 participants max to 100 rooms/1000 participants max. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Bort

Hi @mag 

You will not be able to have 50 rooms for 400 participants, as the standard max is 50/200. You will need to contact Zoom Support to request the enablement of Breakout Rooms 100 for your account, which will allow for your specific needs to be met. 

Keep in mind, this requires ALL participants to be on Zoom client version 5.2 or higher - anyone joining a meeting on your account who does not have Zoom client version 5.2 or higher will be required to update to join the meeting. If your users do not have administrative control of their computers, this will require assistance from your IT Department to update the client.

Thank you @Bort for your quick response. I don't understand the Zoom limitation with the number of breakout rooms as it relates to the total number of participants. Why is it that the more participants you have the fewer breakout rooms you're allowed. So with 200 participants you can have 50 b/o rooms, but with 400 participants I can only have 20? That makes no sense to me. You think it would be the opposite.

Just to confirm what you're saying is if I contact Zoom and enable 100 b/o rooms I can have what I want which is 50 b/o rooms for 400 people? Thanks so much!!

Bort

Hi @mag 

I agree that it is confusing and doesn't make much sense. From what I've found out, it's a very weird technical limitation on the backend. 

As for your question, yes, enabling the Breakout Rooms 100 feature for your account will increase the overall capacity from 50 room/200 participants max to 100 rooms/1000 participants max. 

Thank you!

Hi Bort !

I have the same confusion too. Help me to clarify back, does this mean : 

If I have upgraded to Large meeting of 1000 participants, this means I have 1000 participants in total (Main Room), so, I am allowed to how many breakout Room ? 

Bort

Hi @Izzy93 

There are 2 possible numbers of max breakout rooms. By default, breakout rooms are maxed at 50 separate rooms. If you have contacted Zoom Support and requested the expanded breakout rooms feature, that maximum will go up to 100 rooms total. 

Ok sorry but now I am confused again. If by default the max number of breakout rooms for 500 participants is 20 then how can @Izzy93 utilize all 50 for 1000 people? Again, if I want to have 400 participants divided into 50 breakout rooms (8 people per room) I thought I needed to upgrade to the 500 large meeting add-on AND request the 100 breakout room max? Is it possible for me to ONLY upgrade to the 1000 large meeting add-on and be able to use 50 breakout rooms for 400 participants? This is so unclear from the Zoom documentation and in the managing breakout room table that they provide the max number of participants doesn't even go above 500. Sorry to keep revisiting this but its hard to create a test scenario with that large number of participants so I really need to be clear on the answer so we don't run into problems with our client. Thanks so much!

Bort

It's not possible for Izzy93 to utilize all 50 for 1000 people, since the maximum # of participants when using all 50 rooms is 200. She can increase those maximums by enabling the Breakout 100 feature, which raises the maximums to 100 rooms/1000 participants max.

In your situation, you don't need the extra rooms (50), but need the extra capacity for those rooms (400, double the 200 max). This is why you would need the Breakout 100 feature enabled, so that you can still have 50 rooms, but the participant max would be raised to 1000. You also still need the large meeting add-on, as the overall meeting would be limited to 100 (300 for Business accounts) participants without it. 

Got it ! Thanks for confirming AGAIN :):)

Hi @Bort so if i have a meeting with 240 people that need to be pre-assigned to 3 rooms  i can have this bumped up by my admin?

Bort

Your admin would need to contact Zoom Support to have the additional breakout room capacity enabled for your account.