cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Zoom account been compromised?

munyee
Listener

I was invited and attended a career webinar (meeting style). In the beginning, it went perfectly well. Was sent to a Breakout Room, everything went smoothly and after the session ends, I went back to the Main Room. After 10 minutes of listening to the Host speaks in the Main Room, suddenly someone typed some vulgar words in the Chat. Not 1, but 3 participants were also sent the same thing. I thought that is strange because the 2 participants were in the same Breakout Room as me and they did not type anything vulgar in the Chat during the session. And to my shock, my name appeared in the Chat and also typed the same vulgar word. Before I can explain myself, I was removed from the meeting abruptly and I was disallowed to rejoin again. I felt wronged and upset as I really did not type those words out. Does that mean my account has been compromised/hacked? I've checked with Zoom support but more than 1 week and there's no response. Even after I did all my antivirus and malware scans and changed my Zoom password, I'm still feeling anxious and worried. Can someone please advise and assist me? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ohkawa
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, munyee
I am very sorry for your loss.

In Zoom, participants may be able to change their names after joining.
Someone may have changed his(or her) name and impersonated you.
The host can then forcibly remove the inappropriate participant from the meeting and prevent them from rejoining.

The host may have kicked you out of the meeting because he or she believes you have made inappropriate comments.

I think the host should have made it impossible to change the participant's name.
This setting can be changed in the security settings during the meeting.

Ohkawa_0-1630739440369.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ohkawa

Hi, munyee
I am very sorry for your loss.

In Zoom, participants may be able to change their names after joining.
Someone may have changed his(or her) name and impersonated you.
The host can then forcibly remove the inappropriate participant from the meeting and prevent them from rejoining.

The host may have kicked you out of the meeting because he or she believes you have made inappropriate comments.

I think the host should have made it impossible to change the participant's name.
This setting can be changed in the security settings during the meeting.

Ohkawa_0-1630739440369.png

Hi Ohkawa,

Thank you for your reply. I'm really glad and relieved to know that my account is not hacked. I guess the Host is not aware of that setting, but I really appreciate your advice.

Is there any way we can find out who is the person that keeps renaming him/herself to impersonate other participants, like a registration report or other similar report, since the participants have to register to get the meeting URL link? Is that possible to trace?

Appreciate your kind advice.

Ohkawa

Hi, munyee

I don't know if the history of name changes will be kept on Zoom's servers, but I think the name that will appear in the participant report will be the final name.
So if the bomber changes their name back to the original name after the prank is over, you will never know who the bomber was.
If the host's account is on a business or enterprise plan, the account administrator can monitor the dashboard, which is updated every minute.
It is possible to identify the person who is changing the name from the IP address displayed on the dashboard, but this can be very difficult if there are many participants.
It is a good idea to prevent hosts from being able to change their names, so that harassment does not occur.

Hi Ohkawa,

Thank you once again for your advice. I will take note of the rename feature and dashboard when we organize and host a Zoom meeting. 

Really appreciate your assistance.

Take care and stay safe.

Every time I open, join or host a meeting many settings have been changed. This most recent meeting I joined (a weekly meeting I have attended numerous times) I cannot activate my second screen function, most of the images I have in the virtual background library are gone, many of the settings I have set are either changed or non existent now, and who knows what else has occurred! WTF is going on?

We have turned off rename and still randomly have experienced messages from a member we know would not chat vulgarity. Is this being reported? Is there a remedy?