cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External webcam is lagging

cdavis
Listener

I recently purchased an external webcam and have issues with the video lagging on Zoom only. I have no issues with my integrated webcam on my dell laptop and Zoom and have no issues with the webcam and other programs. My internet connection is great. I have been attempting to adjust settings on the webcam, my computer, and Zoom and have had no luck fixing the lag.

4 REPLIES 4

ExpertswhoJohn
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @cdavis ,

Check that the webcam is directly connected to Zoom and not via another program, which could add a delay. 
Is there a webcam app, or Obs or other software in use?

jstark11407
Listener

I was having the same issue with my NexiGo external webcam. My laptop webcam worked fine. I fixed it though. Here's how. In the Zoom Video settings, I checked the "HD" box, and the lagging went away. 

Hi @cdavis! @ExpertswhoJohn & @jstark11407 provided some helpful tips. Did these suggestions help? If so, please mark the reply as an accepted solution. 

Thank you! 

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

ExpertswhoJohn

It is most likely that the reason the lagging went away was that by hitting the HD box, you matched the format of that webcam with Zoom.

That stopped the need for processing between formats which would take time and introduce lag.
When we used to have webcam apps, you could set the screen size and fps within the limit of the device, those settings are now often burried.
Some times I have been able to use tools like OBS to access the options and obtain improvements in the output of a camera, where setup options were not given.