cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadname showing up in account after years of new name

Listener

I came out as trans more than two years ago, in the midst of the pandemic. I changed my zoom name to my new legal name. It was correct for years, but when I logged in on a new device, my laptop, I see that my zoom name has completely reverted. I used to have my new name and pronouns in my zoom name, and all of that was replaced.

I have had issues with other online sites and services sometimes showing my previous name. Gmail has been especially tricky, because sometimes it will show the recipient of my emails my deadname, but will show me my new name. This way, I don't even know that the other person can see my old name. This has been very frustrating.

I have never had this problem with zoom before, however. I wonder if the new implementation (new for me and my account, anyways, since I haven't used zoom in a while) of the separate first name/ last name/ pronouns sections of your name messed up what had been there. I don't understand how zoom still remembers what my original zoom name was, and I would really like to be able to go back and completely remove that name from any saved data. I wonder if my email has been the source of this problem, just like when I use gmail. If my email still has some lingering record of what my name used to be, then it might be sharing this with every service and site that I sign into using my email address. It's really important to me that I control who knows what about who I used to be. I really don't want to be greeted by my deadname, and sometimes it can put me in danger. When people learn my deadname, they learn about my gender history, and there are a lot of people out there who would be able to really hurt me. 

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to prevent this from happening again? Perhaps I could erase the saved data that was collected from before I came out as trans so there was no way for my account to learn who I was. If any user or developer could please contribute to this discussion, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

SBC

0 REPLIES 0