cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowing somebody else to launch/host a meeting I create but don't attend

Fergus-Dublin
Listener

Hello all.   I am a licenced Zoom user.  From time to time I want to setup a meeting and send link to colleagues but NOT attend myself.  It is insisting that the meeting is launched from my specific PC.   How can I have it that another colleague can launch the meeting from their device and not have to launch from my PC.  Thks Fergus Dublin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

zac2021
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@Fergus-Dublin This can be achieved by assigning a designated host (co-host) to your scheduled meetings. Please see here for details and instructions on how to assign an alternative host to your meeting.

-----------------
If this answers your questions/issues, please mark this as "Accept as Solution" or you may provide more feedback for us to understand more your issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

zac2021

@Fergus-Dublin This can be achieved by assigning a designated host (co-host) to your scheduled meetings. Please see here for details and instructions on how to assign an alternative host to your meeting.

-----------------
If this answers your questions/issues, please mark this as "Accept as Solution" or you may provide more feedback for us to understand more your issue.

ok....but to clarify the co-host you assign to MUST have a zoom licence ? Thks Fergus

zac2021

@Fergus-Dublin Yes, that's right. A co-host must be Zoom licensed user.

-----------------

My understanding is an alternate host has to be Licensed from the same account. We had this issue today when we needed someone with their own account to start another user's meeting. Is there a way to turn off this new obstacle?

ABOUT having someone launch your meeting who is NOT on your same account:

Sometimes you can't get there to launch a meeting you created, and you want someone else to do that for you.  If the person is on your zoom account (say, a family member, or a coworker on the same business account) the procedure is here:  https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/208220166-Designating-an-alternative-host.    But your situation is different, you want to give that authority to someone who is NOT on your account.  The answer is a little long, so bear with me.

When you want your alter ego to launch a meeting you created in your own account, you have to give them info to impersonate you.  Here’s how it would work:

—SETTINGS.  When you create the Mudcat meeting, Enable “Join Before Host” so that the person can get into your scheduled meeting if you aren’t there first.  https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/202828525

— HOST KEY - give the person your Host Key in an email.  Don’t send the Host Key and the zoom link in the same email, for better security.  Anyone with your host key can impersonate you in Zoom, so choose wisely.   If you have second thoughts about your choice, you can change your host key (a six-digit number) any time.  Your Host Key can be found in your Profile menu, about halfway down the page. You can click the (amost invisible) ‘eyelash’ icon to the right of your Host Key to reveal the six numbers instead of a row of asterisks.  You can customize the key to something you can remember, by clicking Edit.

— Your alter ego should join the meeting as usual, by using the zoom meeting link you sent out (i.e. using the Zoom client.  A person doesn't need a Zoom account to do this.  But even if they do have a Zoom account, they will join using the zoom link you send out.)

— Once your alter ego is in the meeting, they follow these instructions to “claim Host”.    In the meeting controls, click Participants, to open the Participants panel on the right side of the screen.  At the bottom of the Participants panel, click Claim Host.  That brings up a request to enter your Host Key.  Your alter ego enters the Host key you provided and clicks Claim Host.  
--Once they are Host, they can do all the things you could do in the meeting -- designate a co-host, use Follow Host Order, Spotlight participants etc.
--It's good security to change your Host Key after the meeting is over, unless you have absolute certainty they won't misuse it or accidentally reveal it.