cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom on a bus tour

ZoomerBus
Listener

Any assistance to check if Zoom can work on a bus tour, visiting my Mother's area she grew up in, other family can't physically make it but can be part of the tour/chat.

Need to understand if its possible what would my shopping list be/things to set in place.

If it won't work why ? and then what would you recommend and why ?

Live streaming won't work as I understand it because dialogue is one-way.

With thanks, best wishes, ZoomerBus.

1 REPLY 1

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @ZoomerBus. Sounds like fun!!

My first non-Zoom suggestion would be – if you all have iPhones – to just use FaceTime. You get two way audio and video, and you can always start with a phone call and convert to FaceTime when something interesting comes up. 

If there’s not an iPhone for all of you … are you thinking of using a laptop, or just Zoom over a phone using cellular service?  I think a laptop will be overkill — use Zoom Meetings on your smart phone!  Everyone at home could be on any device – pc, phone, tablet. You’ll want to practice using a phone for Zoom with the camera and audio. Make a practice run over Zoom with your family – give them a tour of your back yard!

Keep in mind that many places don’t have great cell coverage, and Zoom will also use a lot of your cellular data plan. Use the equipment you already have; total cost: $15 for one month of a Pro account.

Also:

• You could try a Bluetooth headset for better audio.
  • Keep in mind you’ll want extra USB battery power of you’re going to be “live” much of the day. Various models of battery packs are available at Amazon, Best Buy, etc.
  • Have extra USB cables; sometimes they get damaged, especially while traveling
  • Check with your carrier for data charge overages; beef up your plan for a month if you can.
  •  Maybe get an in-car USB charger.  Hopefully there’s a place on the bus for USB power. 
  •  And here’s a special thought: record your meetings to the Zoom Cloud, and download them later. If you do that, you’re going to want the $40/month 100G storage add-on. But the memories with video could be a great historical treasure for your family.
  •  Also, keep in mind your phone will likely get quite warm with constant, heavy (video, audio, and  network) use. Find a way to keep it cool (sorry, I don’t have any great suggestions here), and give it a rest note and then.
  •  Lastly, be mindful of the other travelers on the bus. Using a headset will help, and try to keep your voice level down. 

That’s all I can think about at the moment. What do you think? Any questions?

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !