cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

share screen linux wayland broken

franciscolucas
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, I just installed Zoom client 6.1 on openSuSE and screen sharing is not showing any option anymore on Basic, but only under Advance tab, and there in this one I can only select Screen Portion, but also cannot confirm the screen sharing. Please fix it or let me know how to downgrade to previous version. Thanks in advance!

54 REPLIES 54

megian
Newcomer
Newcomer

Same for Arch.

$ pacman -Ss pipewire | grep installed
extra/helvum 0.5.1-1 [installed]
extra/libpipewire 1:1.0.7-2 [installed]
extra/libwireplumber 0.5.3-1 [installed]
extra/pipewire 1:1.0.7-2 [installed]
extra/qemu-audio-pipewire 9.0.1-1 [installed]
extra/wireplumber 0.5.3-1 [installed]

Gnome 46.0-1

crohmann
Newcomer
Newcomer

I have the same issue with Arch after updating to 6.1.0.
I can add to the bug report that a pop up is shown saying:

Can not start share, we only support Wayland on GNOME with Ubuntu 17 and above, Fedora 25 and above, Debian 9 and above, Centos 8 [...] Arch Linux, AnterGos, Manjaro.
If your OS is not on the list, please use x11 instead.

When I set XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=gnome before starting Zoom screen sharing is offered, but only for a portion of the screen, no windows or whole screens even.

FlyingBuzz
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hi everyone!
Same error window emerged for me on Arch x86_64 KDE 6.1 after upgrading Zoom to 6.1.

A workaround mentioned by @crohmann results in ability to share only a portion of the screen.

crohmann
Newcomer
Newcomer

There are some more details / analysis happening in the Arch AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/zoom#comment-978966

The latest issues with screen sharing seem to stem from xdg-desktop-portal. I made some partial progress: As other noted, setting XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=gome restores the dialog, but there are no sharing options. Logs show Zoom looks for /usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal (arch has it under /usr/lib). Adding a corresponding symlink /usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal -> /usr/lib/xdg... restores the options as well. But they don't work for me (with sway). The second I select an option an try to share I get this in the logs: "ListModel2<T, Key>::getItemIndex(): key not exists!" (SIC) I got no further for now. Posting in the hopes that it helps someone with more xdg-desktop-portal and Zoom foo.

NRobertson
Newcomer
Newcomer

This is still an issue. Downgraded to 6.0.12-1 and it works again.

Is anyone at zoom working on this?

Olical
Newcomer
Newcomer

Also experiencing this on Arch + KDE Plasma with Wayland since the latest update.

Linux 6.6.34-1-lts #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun, 16 Jun 2024 14:45:31 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

MGSR
Community Moderator | Employee

Hello there!

We sincerely apologize for the delayed response and any inconvenience caused.

Our engineering team has informed us that a new version 6.1.1 will be available on 6/30 to address the reported bugs. Kindly update your Zoom App and inform us if the issue persists.

For now, thank you for understanding and have a great day!

Mark
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Can confirm Zoom 6.1.1 this does not solve the problem, at least on Arch. I still need to symlink /usr/lib/xdg-desktop-portal to /usr/libexec. Downgrading to Zoom 6.0.12 resolves the issue.

Additionally, even with the symlink in place, I have the option to share the screen or a window and the share appears to work okay; however, when I click Stop Share it hangs indefinitely, until I force-quit zoom. This is the case in Zoom 6.0.12, 6.1.0 and 6.1.1.

This is the log output produced as soon as I hit "Stop Share"

*** pw_stream_set_active called from wrong context, check thread and locking: Operation not permitted 
*** impl_ext_end_proxy called from wrong context, check thread and locking: Operation not permitted
'this->recurse > 0' failed at ../pipewire/src/pipewire/thread-loop.c:62 do_unlock(

I have exactly the same issue with wayland, garuda linux, and either 6.12.x (where I can share but it locks up forever), or 6.1.1. Sorry to see zoom not working in linux, I guess there is always the web version...... Sadness.

This is an incompatibility of Zoom with Pipewire v1.2.0, which is in the Arch repos since June 27th. Downgrading Pipewire to v1.0.7 solves the crashes.

So dear Zoom staff, please adapt to Pipewire v1.2.0.

Same issue here on NixOS + Hyprland: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/322970#issuecomment-2244352747

Downgraded apps are affected too 😞

MGSR

Hello @timcsf and @symgryph 

Thank you for letting us know.

Our engineers are aware of the issue. As of now, we do not have an estimated time when it will be fixed but rest assured they are currently working to have this solved.

For now, thank you very much for your patience and understanding.

Mark
Zoom Community Team

MGSR

Hello there,

We would like to provide a brief update regarding the issue. Although we currently do not have a specific release date, it will be addressed in version 6.1.5. We will keep you informed once we have more details on the release schedule.

We appreciate your patience on this.

Mark
Zoom Community Team

So I was super frustrated and politely ranting in one of these many threads for this issue digging around for a solution and then came across this one and saw your replies MGSR - seriously instantly turned around and happy to see someone trying to help and actually acting on this. Thank you. Hopefully this comes quickly as I'm a critical zoom user in my company who needs to share daily 🤞 I appreciate your replies and attention with the development team

BA8
Newcomer
Newcomer

Just to alight the expectations here.

Guys! You had a year to sort it out. What are we waiting for?

Ubuntu 24.04 is by default on wayland, most the core developers using Linux for development. What should they do until it fixed? What?

MGSR

Hello there,

Thank you for your patience.

We have received an update indicating that the version 6.1.15 fix will be released on July 21st.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Mark
Zoom Community Team

Any updates on that?

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

FYI, here’s the Release Notes page for Linux:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0068973

Version 6.1.5 is scheduled for release today, June 22, 2024. I can’t tell whether it’s already out or still pending. 

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

It was scheduled for yesterday, July 22, 2024, but it's not out yet. I had to downgrade to v6.0.2.4680 which was working perfectly fine for screensharing on NixOS + Hyprland, but somehow the temporary upgrade also screwed this up, perhaps some state left behind?

I get this error in the logs, which seems to indicate an incompatibility with Pipewire. It happens exactly when I click on "Stop sharing" and the entire program freezes, so the only option is to kill it.

*** pw_stream_set_active called from wrong context, check thread and locking: Operation not permitted
*** impl_ext_end_proxy called from wrong context, check thread and locking: Operation not permitted
'this->recurse > 0' failed at ../src/pipewire/thread-loop.c:62 do_unlock()

Yep, this is caused by the incompatibility of Zoom and Pipewire 1.2.x.

Since basically all rolling releases are on that version right now, the Zoom devs should prioritize this issue in the first place, imho. 

Not being able to share a single window is a bummer, but I can work around that one. The app crashing entirely whenever I stop the share, or any other participant wants to share something, is a showstopper. Pun intended

I have just downloaded and installed version 6.1.5.871 in order to test it (Gentoo, KDE Plasma 6.1.3 Wayland, Pipewire 1.2.1), but the same symptoms happen.

At least, the web version of Zoom through Google Chrome (Version 126.0.6478.182 (Official Build) (64-bit)) works properly. You can share any window, screen or desktop.

Wow. I didn't know that there is the web version of zoom! And yes, this version gives ability to select what screen or application to share. But anyway, I returned to 6.0.12 (5501). It's easier to use, it could be hidden in the tray and so on.

The web version lacks other features, like adjusting the video light or annotations though

The "Update": zoom dev team made a massive effort, logs weeks of dev hours, and was able to fix where they look for desktop portal binary, but fixing crashing after screenshare session might take a couple of years.

With version 6.1.5 on Gnome + Arch + Wayland, I get the dialog to share, but zoom freeezes when I share something, or when I want to stop sharing.

hicder
Newcomer
Newcomer

I have the same issue as others with 6.1.5 - once I stop screen sharing, zoom hangs.

My setup: KDE + Arch + Wayland.

Workaround: install the zoom flatpak and it works perfectly: https://flathub.org/apps/us.zoom.Zoom . However this is unverified, so use it at your own risk.

Flatpak uses outdated version, i.e. 6.0.12.5501, that was unaffected. However, it looks like Zoom blocks outdated app versions from joining the meetings: I've just tried joining one and got a message saying that I need to use version 6.1.0 or higher to join it

Ray_Harwood

Hey, @Salgir.

Probably not Zoom blocking it. Zoom blocks anything outside of the Quarterly Lifecycle requirements (see this and this), but it’s possible for organizational Zoom admins to set a higher version requirement (see this).  Use of some version-specific features might give you that warning too. 

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

MGSR

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing to our attention the ongoing issue following the latest update.

To assist in resolving this matter, our engineering team kindly requests that you submit a ticket. 

Kindly include the meeting ID, brief description of the issue and attach the logs.

We greatly appreciate your support.

Mark
Zoom Community Team

Is the engineering team willing to help users of other distros like NixOS? Asking before I invest the time in collecting logs and submitting a ticket. Thanks.

I have tried opening the ticket (TS1349925) but it got closed automatically after 2 minutes, and I got an e-mail: "Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to your open ticket at this time.". Here are the information I've collected:

Zoom crashes on Linux with Pipewire 1.2 when stopping screensharing

Zoom crashes when using Pipewire 1.2 (or higher) on Linux, after stopping the screensharing. It freezes and hangs up, the only option is to kill it. @gvolpe has shared the relevant logs here: https://community.zoom.com/t5/Zoom-Meetings/share-screen-linux-wayland-broken/m-p/191795/highlight/t...

The problem is that Zoom does not support Pipewire 1.2. It's been an issue with the previous versions too, as reported on Arch forums 15 days ago: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/zoom?O=10#comment-981434

Downgrading Pipewire to 1.0.7 fixes the issue, as confirmed on the Arch forums linked above, but Pipewire is a vital Linux package, so it's not really optimal to stay on the older version. It requires downgrading half of the system and most of the Linux distros ship the newest version of Pipewire by default.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Get any Linux distro using Wayland and Pipewire 1.2 (or newer)
2. Join any meeting
3. Start screensharing
4. Stop screensharing
5. The Zoom app crashes.

Here are the relevant logs:

'this->recurse > 0' failed at ../src/pipewire/thread-loop.c:62 do_unlock()

The issue is not with my specific setup. It affects all the Linux users using Pipewire 1.2 or higher. However, this is my specific setup:
Arch Linux, GNOME 46.3.1 (on Wayland), Pipewire version 1.2.1, Zoom Meetings version 6.1.5.871-1

You should give NixOS a try, it makes it really easy to override the Pipewire that Zoom needs without affecting the rest of the system 🙂

Example: https://github.com/gvolpe/nix-config/blob/master/home/overlays/zoom/default.nix#L10

Jokes aside, Zoom still produces an error with Pipewire 1.0.7, but it seems harmless (it doesn't freeze the app after at least):

'loop->recurse > 0' failed at ../src/pipewire/thread-loop.c:426 pw_thread_loop_wait()

IonutAlexandru
Newcomer
Newcomer

confirming for openSUSE tumbleweed slowroll as well (KDE / wayland), same issue, I'm using screensharing for work and I really need this function.

takluyver
Newcomer
Newcomer

Regarding the problem with the screensharing options not showing up (as in the attached screenshot), it appears that Zoom is trying to run

/usr/.../xdg-desktop-portal --version

to do some sort of version check. If it can't find this in /usr/libexec, lib or lib64, it doesn't offer the pipewire screensharing options.

This is a problem for Flatpak, because the portal machinery is running outside the sandbox, so there's no xdg-desktop-portal binary visible inside.

I don't know exactly what Zoom is checking for, but the version it gets this way probably doesn't actually mean much. xdg-desktop-portal is a frontend for portal implementations provided by desktops (Gnome, KDE, etc.), so what you can do with the portal probably depends more on the backend than the frontend.

The screencast portal has a version property which can be checked over D-Bus, and is probably more meaningful. That linked document also details which portal version added which options.

hicder
Newcomer
Newcomer

any update or plan on fixing this issue? this is blocking a lot of Linux users on Wayland.

From my understanding, the problem now is, if you're on Wayland, once you end screen sharing, zoom will hang due to the incompatibility with Pipewire 1.2

jmrodri
Explorer
Explorer

I'm having the same issue with 6.1.5 on Arch Linux with Pipewire 1.2. Sharing the screen works until I need to stop sharing, then I have to rejoin the meeting which is quite embarrassing.

jmrodri
Explorer
Explorer

Upgraded to 6.1.6 (1013) and it still crashes when I try to stop sharing. Also using Arch LInux and Pipewire 1.2.

tomcho
Newcomer
Newcomer

Coming here to report the same: screen sharing works on the latest version, but stopping the share crashes zoom. Cmon zoom people, can you prioritize this please?

kueblernetes
Newcomer
Newcomer

@MGSR - I'm sure that support and the devs are up to their eyeballs in logs, but is there something that we can be posting or sending that would be helpful at this point?