cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extend breakout sessions

danijela_stanic
Listener

Is there an option to extend breakout sessions while they are running? For example, if I find that the minutes set are not enough, can I extend?

4 REPLIES 4

IP-Man
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@danijela_stanic , there appears to be no option to extend breakout room timer.

Here are some notes from our KB article  on Breakout Rooms.

Options for breakout rooms

1. After creating the breakout rooms, click Options(on Windows) or the gear icon 

(on macOS) to view additional breakout rooms options.
  2. Check any options that you would like to use for your breakout rooms.
    • Allow participants to choose room: Participants can select and enter rooms on their own once rooms are launched. 
    • Allow participants to return to the main session at any time: If this option is checked, the participants can move back to the main session from their meeting controls. If this is disabled, they need to wait for the host or co-host to end the breakout rooms.
    • Automatically move all assigned participants into breakout rooms: Checking this option will move all participants into the breakout rooms automatically. If this option is unchecked, the participants will need to click Join to be added to the breakout room.
    • Auto close breakout rooms after () minutes: If this option is checked, the breakout rooms will automatically end after the configured time.
      • Notify me when the time is up: If this option is checked, the host and co-hosts will be notified when the breakout room time is up.
    • Set Countdown timer: If this option is checked, the participants will be given a countdown of how much time they have left before being returned to the main room.
  3. Follow the steps below to assign participants to rooms or click Open All Rooms to start the breakout rooms

Managing breakout rooms in progress

Once the breakout rooms have been started, the assigned participants will be asked to join the Breakout Session. The host, or co-host that launched the breakouts and the original host, will stay in the main meeting until joining a session manually. If a participant has not joined the session yet, it will be noted by (not joined) next to their name. You can click these options in the breakout rooms window:

• Join: Join the breakout room.
  • Leave: Leave the room and return to the main meeting (only shows when in a breakout room).
  • Close All Rooms: Stops all rooms after a 60 second countdown, which is shown to the host, co-hosts, and participants, and returns all participants back to the main meeting.

Hover your pointer over the name of the breakout room and click the ellipsis button 

to access more options for that particular breakout room:

Note: Adjusting Breakout Rooms while they are open must be enabled for your account by Zoom, enabled in your Breakout Room settings, and have all participants connected through version 5.9.3 or higher. 

• Add Participants: Add additional participants to an existing Breakout Room. Select the participants you want to add to this room and click Assign
  • Rename: Rename the Breakout Room. Enter the new name of the room and click Rename
  • Delete Room: Delete the already in-progress Breakout Room. 
    Note: The option to delete a breakout room

If this has answered or help find a solution to your question , please click the Accept as Solution button below so that others in the Community may benefit as well.

Cheers!

MBK-Eran
Listener

I would really like to have this option too!

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

Jeff has provided an answer here;

https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/breakout-room-host-wants-to-extend-time/m-p/74323/highlight/t... 

"As long as you have checked "Notify me when the time is up" the option you are looking is in that pop-up notification. You can either confirm to close the rooms or extend the time."

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Thanks, Frank_TB.
Sorry I wasn't clear about my question. What I'm looking for is to not just extend the time in breakout rooms, but to extend it with a fixed amount of time, so students can keep track to how much more time they have left for the assigned task.