cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your internet connection is unstable" - but it isn't

MendoBirder
Newcomer
Newcomer

Was previously able to use Zoom for meetings with few problems; last use was in December 2023. Recently however we cannot watch a webinar or participate in a meeting, because the audio frequently drops out and Zoom occasionally displays the message "Your internet connection is unstable." I disabled the connections on all devices but the one in use - no effect. I switched from a Wi-Fi to an Ethernet connection - no effect. Speed tests showed we are getting around 28 Mbps. I contacted our ISP and they set up a Zoom meeting so their technician could check all the connectivity parameters and watch what was happening while we talked (and I continued to experience the audio dropouts). Everything checked out and nothing showed up that could cause this problem. They are continuing to look into it but meanwhile I want to hear from Zoom about what could be causing this issue, which I see others have had in past years, but no clear solution has been presented.
The connectivity we have allows unlimited streaming and we have had no difficulty with movies, audio, etc. except with Zoom. During the Zoom meeting with the ISP we were using less than 1 Mbps, so it is clearly not a capacity problem. They have the ability to monitor our bandwidth and it was showing a very consistent, very stable connection at 25-28 Mbps.  So why are audio packets getting lost?

4 REPLIES 4

preacher1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Similar thing happened to me, but in addition the video freezes, and eventually drops out.  Don't know if this is what you experienced as well: I could still hear and see others but they could not hear or see me.  Of course I kept getting messages that my microphone wasn't working, or had unstable network connection, low bandwidth, etc.  Until I read your message I was about to call my ISP to have them run tests, but I doubt that will help.  These problems are specific to Zoom, and until this year I never experienced them (I have no difficulty with streaming videos or movies).  This is pretty urgent for me, since I'm enrolled in some training courses that require a stable Zoom connection, breakout room discussions, etc. I can't "make up" sessions required for my certifications. I know there's nothing wrong with my (aftermarket) camera and microphone, and my next session is in less than a week. If anyone out there has a solution in plain English for this tech-challenged guy, I beg you to have mercy and send help.  PLEASE.

I have the same issue. Did you find a solution?

RN

Hi @MendoBirder welcome to the community! I see you had a Zoom support ticket open; I recommend continuing the conversation with the agent to further analyze your meeting to pinpoint the hiccup in the connection between you and Zoom and determine the audio drops that you're experiencing. Suggest responding to the ticket to reopen it so that we can troubleshoot further with you.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Bsmith0411
Zoom Partner
Zoom Partner

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?  Besides moving to google meet.