cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen sharing a single window is not possible on KDE

ManuelMoralesKw
Newcomer
Newcomer

It's only possible or me to share the full screen instead of just a single window. How to reproduce:

- Start a "New meeting".

- Click "Share".

- Choose "User system window capture" and click "Share".

- [UNEXPECTED] "Remote control requested" is show.

- Click "Share".

- [UNEXPECTED] The whole screen is shared.

I expected to see KDE's "Screen sharing" dialog that allows me to choose a single window. This works when using the web client through Firefox.

I tried running the app with QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb or XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME and it made no difference. I also tried setting capture mode on Wayland to "Pipewire Mode" and "Original Mode". No success either.

Software versions:

Zoom: 6.1.1.443 x86_64 installed from zoom-6.1.1.443-1.src.rpm.
KDE Plasma 6.1.2 on Wayland.

9 REPLIES 9

OleksiyF
Newcomer
Newcomer

I see the same on KDE Neon, started seeing it from zoom 6.1.0. And I had to return to 6.0.12 to have all the sharing works. Also here they said it could be fixed in 6.1.15

JMFernandez
Explorer
Explorer

The very same symptoms happen with version 6.1.5.871 installed from .tar.xz bundle (Gentoo, KDE Plasma 6.1.3 Wayland, Pipewire 1.2.1).

Yes, nothing changed. Also it's nothing said about fixing the sharing in the Release Notes. So need to wait the next release

petersaints
Newcomer
Newcomer

I have the same issue on Fedora 40 KDE.

On Fedora 40 GNOME it works well. I am given the choice of which window I want to share.

On KDE I can only share the whole screen.

EDIT:
According to this official support page, this is something that should have been fixed:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0059085

In fact, the issue seems to be even worse than I thought. If I have two monitors, Zoom will share both of them. I rarely ever share just a single window, but I almost never share more than one screen.

The best solution right now is to use the Web client. However, it doesn't have feature parity with the desktop client. For instance, afaik it is not possible to give remote control if you are sharing your screen from the Web client.

Exactly. That's what I had to do. I'm using the web UI. And, as you say, it's a sub par experience. I have this weird problem in Firefox in which the view streams flicker. The whole experience is very poor.

Also, I have tested older versions of the Zoom Client for Linux and version 6.0.12.5501. The next version is 6.1.0.198 and this one has the same behavior as the current 6.1.6.1013.

So this is something that worked on 6.0.x but was broken when they worked on the 6.1.x version.

Yes, and I opened the ticket for the tech support and at the end of conversation they proposed me to use either web version of zoom or use OBS as a virtual camera and share the screen through it. So now I'm still on 6.0.12

JMFernandez
Explorer
Explorer

Newer version 6.1.11.1545 still has the issue.