cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E911 LLDP with Windows client

vgonzalez
Listener

Does anyone have lldp working with windows 10 and the zoom client? looking for the zoom client to detect the switchport/mac-address to help comply with the new e911 regulation. I know that the mac machines need a LLDP helper agent.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vgonzalez
Listener

That may be so as a prerequisite as well, I have not tested with it not off, as we have this turned on with all of our sites.

Update though, this seems to be working for us now. I think the fault was with Microsoft with previous Cumulative updates. Confirmed working with the January and February CU for windows 10. Confirmed it does not work with the December CU.

Still have a ticket open with Microsoft, I still do not have a way to actually test this within powershell/wmi or any other means. from the little research I have done, lldp neighbor information seems to be only accessible through the windows 10 API at the moment.

One thing confirmed, you can not change what windows 10 advertises out to the switches. This has been confirmed by our ticket in with Microsoft.

The main builds tested with this feature working are 20H2 and 21H2, this should work on other supported main builds as well, but was told this works on all versions of windows 10, even the ones that are EOL

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Craig
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you begin by verifying the LLDP environment.

You'll need to ensure LLDP has been enabled on the switchports connecting to the Windows 10 client(s), and that the Chassis ID and Port ID type-length-values (TLVs) are being advertised to the Windows clients.

You can check what is being received by the Zoom client by going to Settings -> Statistics and then choose the Phone tab. In there you'll see two fields (Network Switch & Local Network Interface) which should be populated with the information sent in the aforementioned TLVs. If these fields are blank, then please check the LLDP configuration on your switch to make sure the required TLVs are being advertised.

Thanks! Craig

Our switch is advertising out those TLVs, connected to the same switch as an IP desk phone, the IP desk phone learns the switch mac address and port information and shows up in the call logs when testing with 933. We are using Windows 10 20H2 and the lldp agent is enabled on the network adapter being used. We have tried both the build in laptop and the lan port on the thunderbolt docking station with the same result. I also tested with a machine straight out of the box from dell, also 20H2, which is not joined to our domain, no antivirus or any security policies and have the same experience.

Craig

Thank you for your reply. It looks like further troubleshooting may be required and I see that our support agents are already working with you on a resolution in the background.

In the meantime we welcome any additional input from community members who may have experienced this, and please feel free to reply back and update the community with your progress.

I just got an invite to work with engineering this evening to do testing with them. Hopefully I will be posting an update with a fix for everyone 

Nothing yet, but testing now with a machine with a fresh install of windows 20H2 from the ISO to make sure no domain policies or security software are interfering. Will post an update soon.

I am anxious to see the results of your investigation, as we are experiencing the same thing.  We have Wireshark Pcaps that confirm that LLDP is being advertised and are running Windows Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.  When looking at the Settings/Statistics/Phone/Network Switch field while on a call, we have never seen a value in this field.  This includes associates that do and do not have local Admin privileges on their own machine.

Right now I dont have an answer just yet, but I have confirmed that functionality does not work in windows 10 home edition. The dll files between home/pro are different, they are working with Microsoft to verify that this feature is not supported in home. We are using Enterprise and the test machine we used with zoom was loaded with Windows 10 Professional.

Will update once I have more information.

AlbertSmith
Listener

We were able to resolve our issue by making sure that

Company Info>>[pick a site]>>Emergency Services>>Nomadic Emergency Services 

was turned on.

vgonzalez
Listener

That may be so as a prerequisite as well, I have not tested with it not off, as we have this turned on with all of our sites.

Update though, this seems to be working for us now. I think the fault was with Microsoft with previous Cumulative updates. Confirmed working with the January and February CU for windows 10. Confirmed it does not work with the December CU.

Still have a ticket open with Microsoft, I still do not have a way to actually test this within powershell/wmi or any other means. from the little research I have done, lldp neighbor information seems to be only accessible through the windows 10 API at the moment.

One thing confirmed, you can not change what windows 10 advertises out to the switches. This has been confirmed by our ticket in with Microsoft.

The main builds tested with this feature working are 20H2 and 21H2, this should work on other supported main builds as well, but was told this works on all versions of windows 10, even the ones that are EOL