cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom - logging in on 2 devices

Zoom4teaching
Listener

Two questions here:

1. Did Zoom change their settings?  I am no longer able to log onto the same Zoom  ID using two devices?

2. Why did Zoom disable the share file function in the chat?  I can't share any files now in live sessions.

8 REPLIES 8

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @Zoom4teaching 

I don't recall ever being able to be logged into more than one computer on the same account.

I can be logged into a computer and a mobile device at the same time, but logging in at a separate computer client does log the first client.

However, this does only apply to the client being logged in to your user-account. It should not prevent you from joining the meeting twice - once from each computer.

• Sign in to the client on the first computer and join your meeting.
  • Sign in to the client on the second computer and join your meeting.
  • - The first client will become logged-out from your Zoom user-account;
  • - But the first client should not actually disconnect from the meeting it is already connected to.

At least that has been my experience.

Another option would be to join from the second computer via the web at https://zoom.us/join

If your account is part of an organization, any other restriction may be imposed by your administrator.   

Another option would be to create a free second account in Zoom on a different email - and keep your second client logged in with this user. You would not be able to Host any meetings from there (other than free ones) but it would enable you to stay logged in and join other meetings, without logging-off your first machine. You could pass Host from one machine to another, once the meeting is started, if you needed to.

I have separate Basic logins for all my many machines, purely for this reason.

Hope this helps.

Rupert

Ohkawa

Hi, Zoom4teaching

2. I would suggest checking the meeting settings.

Ohkawa_0-1632837363487.png

1. When you say you can't log on to two devices, maybe you mean that you can't join the same meeting from two different devices? For example, a PC and a smart phone.
If so, meeting host may set registration and have banned it.

Ohkawa_2-1632838123581.png

SannaHagman
Listener

I have a question relating to this! I have yoga classes on zoom, and while my iPhone films the class I usually use my iPad to let yogis in to the online class so I don't have to run back and forth. It now seems that I can't join my own meeting any more.

I can't figure this out!

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@SannaHagman 

Can you provide more info about what you mean by not being able to join your own meetings? Is there an error message? What is different? 

PreSalesGuy
Listener

this just began happening to me as well.

1. I begin hosting my meeting on my laptop.  I use two screens to navigate content and meeting settings

2. i join the meeting under my zoom credentials on my iPad. I use this to make sure i "see" what participants are seeing.

this all worked fine until today.  Now, when i join on my tablet, i'm told i must end the other session.  I can only have one session active at a time.  that never happened before.  it just tagged my iPad session as co-host and we all went merrily along.  this is an important capability that i need and it seeming was taken away in just a matter of days on me.

Hasan_Ashoor
Listener

Hello

I had the same issue and I tried different scenarios. And here are my findings:

1. We you join a Zoom meeting as the meeting host (Say from a PC / MAC etc), you can NOT join the meeting from another device ( say Mobile phone / iPad / Tablet etc) using the same Zoom user ID / credentials. Hence you will need to create another Zoom ID for the second device. ie Zoom ID which used as a meeting host can not be used as a client also in the same meeting.

2. When you join a Zoom meeting as a client (say from a PC / Mac etc) you can join the same meeting as a client as well from another device (say mobile phone / iPad / tablet etc). ie you can join a meeting as a client from two different devices using the same credentials.

So yes you can join from two different devices only when you join as a client not the host.

I hope the above clarifies the issue.

Frank_TB

Hello,

I just tested this on my Mac with the  Zoom desktop client Version: 5.15.2 (19786) and my iPhone IOS client 5.15.2 and was able to join without issue using the same user account. 

It has been a rule for a long time that you can only join the same meeting with the same user account from 2 different classes of device.

"You can be signed in to Zoom on one computer, one tablet, and one phone at a time. If you sign into an additional device while logged into another device of the same type, you will be logged out automatically on the first device". 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360000787483-Signing-in-to-Zoom-on-multiple-devices 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

b_w
Listener

this is what I want to do. Is it possible.  Logon on my iPad and mirror to my TV. I know that this will give me video and audio on my TV, but no microphone capability. Can I logon at the same time on my MacBook and use that for the microphone?