cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom 5.16 refuses to start

lordofthemoon
Listener
Hi, I had Zoom 5.15.11 installed on Windows 10 22H2 but when I upgraded to 5.16.0, it refused to start. I tried clearing out all local data but couldn't find any way to get detailed logging. When I run the exe, it just doesn't start. I rolled back to 5.15.11 and everything is fine. I tried again today with 5.16.2 but had the same problem. I had to uninstall and restore 5.15.11. It seems to be device-related, as I was able to upgrade on another Win10 PC with no problems. If it matters, I have an Nvidia GEForce GT 1030 graphics card, and and old AMD Phenom 1055T CPU. If you need any other information, or if there's any command line switches I can use to provide verbose logging, please let me know. Thanks, Raj.
32 REPLIES 32

John_713
Listener

The problem seems to be specific to the 5.16.x 64-bit client for Windows running on AMD processors.
I tried it on several different systems, both Intel and AMD processors.  It installs correctly on Intel platforms, but consistently fails on AMD systems.
I was hoping that it had been resolved on the 5.16.5 release, but it apparently has not.

I'm on an AMD system as well, so that's sounding right.

Edit: sorry, I didn't realise I'd already supplied my system details in the original message (and it doesn't look like you can delete a message)

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @lordofthemoon @John_713 so the experience you are having with AMD processors is that when you first open the Zoom Client the client crashes? If uninstalling, re-installing the Zoom client doesn't do you justice with the most recent version of Zoom; I would recommend reporting a problem through the desktop client, and creating a ticket with our Zoom Support team if you have the web ticket creation support option available to you (scroll down to see Zoom Support Options)

Or, does the Zoom Client crash when you attempt to Start or Join a Zoom Meeting? If crashing when starting or Joining a Zoom Meeting there is hardware acceleration settings within the Zoom Client Settings; which i would recommend disabling to see if that resolves your CPU stressing and crashing when in-meeting or attempting to join a Zoom Meeting.

1. Right-click on the Zoom icon on the taskbar

2. Left-click on Settings…

3. On the Settings window, go to Video > Advanced

4. Disable “Receiving video” under “Use hardware acceleration for”

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @lordofthemoon @John_713 could you please attempt to run the CleanZoom.exe method from Uninstalling and reinstalling the Zoom application (Run CleanZoom to remove Zoom completely), afterwards please restart your device, and reinstall Zoom. Please confirm first before downloading whether your device is 32bit or 64bit

October 23, 2023 version 5.16.5 (24296) - Windows

EXE 32-bit: https://zoom.us/client/5.16.5.24296/ZoomInstaller.exe
EXE 64-bit: https://zoom.us/client/5.16.5.24296/ZoomInstaller.exe?archType=x64

After using the above download links; please let me know if you were able to open Zoom successfully! I am running a windows device with AMD Ryzen 7 5800x that has no issues opening the Zoom Desktop Client. 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

I have an AMD Phenom II 64-bit, and had the same problem after installing the latest version (the Zoom app would not start).  After using the provided links to run ZoomClean and to roll back to 5.16.5.24296, it works again.  Thanks!

Yes, running CleanZoom to remove Zoom completely and using the download link you provided works and the Zoom app launches, but I get a message saying that I need to update Zoom, so the bug still needs to be fixed since I can't join any meetings because of the required update prompt. The web interface is not an option for me, the Zoom desktop client has stuff that aren't available on the web interface of zoom. Please fix this bug since I also have an old AMD CPU

pclogicnz
Listener

Also does not open on my HP ML350 G8 Xeon E5-2620 (Windows Server 2016) and my HP ML350 G10 Xeon Silver 4210 (Windows server 2016) I tried the  Zoom uninstall, reboot and reinstall but the same. Roll back to previous version only solution.

pclogicnz
Listener

It is not fixed in v5.16.6 either.

ad141
Listener

Please fix this issue, I also have an AMD processor and am getting the same problem as others mentioned. All applications work except the Zoom client.

Ippotis
Listener

With the previous version works fine on AMD Cpu. Propably a bug. I hope in 5.16.7 will be fixed. Thanks RN!!!!

ifurman
Community Champion | Customer

Some users have been having issues with Zoom v 5.16 on Windows Servers 2016/2019 and some Windows pc's running older AMD cpu's. Zoom is aware of the issue and plans to fix it in its next release 5.16.10 by the end of the month.

In the meantime, try using 5.15.11 from here as it should work for you until 5.16.10 comes out,  https://zoom-us-zoom.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

DaveRo
Listener

Thank you for this most helpful advice.   Ver 5.16.6 would not start on my Win 10 22H2 with Intel Xeon 64bit Dell Precision 690, and I got a black screen in  Edge browser video.  Ver 5.15.11 cured it all.

Unfortunately, (@ifurman please note) I still have the same problem of not starting when I use the new Version 5.16.10 (26186).

I am again most grateful to be able to go to uptodown.com and download Version 5.15.11 (21032), which mercifully, still works.

Perhaps the problem Zoom fixed with 5.16.10 isn't the only problem that needed fixing.

CliftonS
Listener

Just tried to install 5.16.10 on my AMD system. No go. It will not start. Reverting back to v5.15.11 which works perfect! Too bad they claim something is fixed but they don't seem to reach out to us who are actually having the problem.

In the release notes for 5.16.10, it never said that they fixed the issue with Zoom not launching on old AMD systems, they were being vague with the fixes. They said "minor bug fixes" under the Resolved Issues section, but never specified what bugs they've fixed.

I agree, it is super frustrating dealing with this issue. I've upgraded my AMD system to a SSD to boost its performance with loading apps, and was disappointed to find out that I couldn't launch Zoom since I use my AMD system a lot for Zoom meetings.

ifurman

It seems like 5.16.10 fixes the issues with Zoom loading on Windows Server 2016/2019. But there are still issues with Zoom loading on older AMD CPU's from what I have read here. Zoom 5.16.10 is currenly working for me in Windows 11 on my Ryzen 5600x.

For those with older AMD CPU's and are still having issues, please keep using 5.15.11 for now.

Yes that fixed my server 2016 so I am happy. We don't supply or use AMD cpu computers (now you know why) so not worried about that.

ad141
Listener

The 32-bit version of Zoom 5.16.10 works on my old AMD system now, but I am still having issues with the 64-bit version of Zoom 5.16.10 on my AMD system.

ifurman

Have you tried 5.16.10 32 bit version. Some users have reported it working for them when the 64 bit version did not work.

Thanks.  To recap: 

I am working with Windows 10 Home ver 22H2, on Dell Precision 690 workstation x64-based PC with Intel Xeon CPU 3.00GHz 2 cores 4 logical processors;

Installation of 64bit Zoom ver 5.16.10 (26186) gave a module that would not start.  Unistalled.

64bit Zoom ver 5.15.11 (21032) gave a module that did start, and seemed normally functional.  Uninstalled.

Now:  Installation of 32bit Zoom ver 5.16.10 (26186) gave a module that seems normally functional.  I am hopeful it will work in a meeting tomorrow.

There remains the observation that 64bit v5.16.10 fails with the Intel Xeon as well as the previous comments on AMD installations.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @DaveRo @lordofthemoon @brocklesner @ad141 I've been trying to find customer tickets who have had similar experiences with AMD processors and this specific version (5.16.10), but I'm not having much luck! I would recommend submitting a ticket to our Zoom Technical Support teams for further investigation of this issue. Assuming we may require crash logs from you. I'd also recommend looking into Sending meeting or webinar problem report and client logs after you submit a ticket from here.

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

I have issues with 5.16.10 on an AMD system. 64bit version only causes problems. 32bit is okay. However, the 32bit version does not offer smooth video support on my system. So I reverted back to 5.15.11 64bit and all is fine for now.

Anyone know if the problem with 5.16 not lauching after update has been fixed in 5.17.0?

I don't think it has been fixed. I've installed the 64-bit version of 5.17.0 on my AMD pc, and I still get the issue of Zoom not launching. However, the 32-bit version of 5.17.0 works!

Hi, I'm still getting this on 5.16.10 (not sure if it's 32-bit or 64 - I just used the automatic updates from within the application).  I've reverted back to 5.15.11 again.  I've logged ticket TS0391265 as requested.

Raj.

It is probably the 64 bit version of Zoom since this issue is still there with the latest 64 bit version of Zoom on old AMD processors. If you launch task manager when Zoom is open, if will clearly mark a 32 bit application, while 64 bit applications have no notation.

Try uninstalling 5.15.11 and download the latest 32-bit version of Zoom and let us know if that fixed the issue or not.

DaveRo
Listener

@RN ,  I don't think I'm going to be able to submit a ticket because of the type of account I hold (which is the lowest).  The message on your linked page for generating a ticket implies this:

DaveRo_0-1702474106079.png

I am, however, happy to help in any way I can.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @DaveRo no problem! We can troubleshoot here within the community. Older processors running Windows 10 22H2 (October 18, 2022 release) on your Dell Precision 690 workstation may be running out of computing resources when attempting to run a 64bit version. I'm having no luck looking through previous release notes or versions that may have mentioned a specific un-supporting of older CPUs e.g. 10+ years old. 

Because your PC meets the minimum Zoom requirements, we're looking at some older hardware. Which I don't have any older hardware to test; however, this may be incapable of supporting current versions of Zoom, and you may have reached the device's maximum Zoom version. Im not aware of any documentation on this; but I think this would be so helpful - may take this back to internal teams! 🙂

Because the app is not launching, it is likely that it has crashed as you all have explained within this discussion thread. Crashing problems are usually caused by a combination of factors. One of them is running out of computing power. So, if you have a lot of applications open or a lot of web browser windows open when you try to run Zoom, there may not be enough processing power to start Zoom and it will crash. Another major cause of crashing is bad or outdated drivers. If your device has video card or sound card drivers, they could be attached to the motherboard or integrated from the IO.

The only way to confirm this is for you to review your Windows Event Viewer, right after Zoom crashes. You will want to look at the events and time stamps around the time of the crash. You are looking for warnings and error codes as well as any "appcrash" listed. Then you will want to open up those errors and confirm what might be causing the app to crash. Since the app is not starting, there will not be any logs to review. So that kicks us back to Windows event viewer and any error entries in the logs.

Here is some information on using Windows Event Viewer:
https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg-explains-what-the-windows-event-viewer-is-and-how-you-can-use-i...

You can also monitor your Windows Task Manager (shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Esc) while Zoom is running. You should keep an eye on how busy your CPU and GPU are, as well as how much RAM is being used. Shutting down all applications and background apps should help reduce system demands, but you will get a better picture of how busy your system is currently running and then see what happens when you launch Zoom. Most likely, you will notice a significant increase in CPU and GPU usage just before the app crashes.

You can now open the Task Manager and see how much computing power is being used with older versions that still work. If it is very high, you can pretty much guarantee that the newer versions will use more processing with all of the newly added features, such as Zoom AI Companion

Given that these devices in the thread may have reached the maximum version of Zoom that can be run on them. Of course, updating all available drivers to the most recent available version may help. 

@lordofthemoon this maybe the same use case with AMD Phenom 1055T CPU release date of 2010; @pclogicnz xeon e5-2620 release 2012; so-on. 

But as stated; if you're able to access Zoom Support by submitting a ticket; recommend looking into Sending meeting or webinar problem report and client logs after you submit a ticket from here to pinpoint exactly what's maybe the cause of this. 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

ad141
Listener

The current 64-bit latest version of Zoom 5.17.2 has the same issue, but the 32-bit version works fine. Something to keep in mind (from what I noticed) is that updating Zoom from its interface defaults to downloading the latest 64-bit version (and discarding the old 32-bit version), so you would have to download the latest version of Zoom manually if you want to stick to the 32-bit version on a 64-bit pc). Therefore, this bug regarding the 64-bit client not launching should still get fixed in my opinion especially because manually downloading the latest 32-bit version of Zoom is inconvenient.

lordofthemoon
Listener

Hi all, I raised a ticket with Zoom tech support and after a bit of back and forth, I've now had this reply:

Zoom tech support wrote:

Starting Zoom client 5.16.0 and up, we upgraded to OpenSSL 3.1.1 .

The workaround would be to use the 32bit for now, or 64bit version before 5.16.0.

The fix is included in 5.17.5 with the upgrade to OpenSSL 3.1.4. Unfortunately I don't have a release date yet. But this should be out soon.

I'm going to stick with 5.15.11 until 5.17.5 is out and will report back after I try that.

Raj.

CliftonS
Listener

5.17.7 is out and it fails to work on my AMD system.

Yeah, I tried and got the same as well 😞