cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QuickTime player screen-recording detectable by zoom?

kohmasaki
Listener

Dear Zoom Expert or frequent user 

I want to ask a technical question.

During a zoom meeting (educational classroom), Can zoom detect any participant is screen-recording with QuickTime player or other screen-recording app ( not the built-in record function in zoom)?

As a student myself, I asked, because during a meeting last week, the instructor speaker mentioned someone was privately screen-recording.
below only my photo instead of other student photo, a red REC was actively being displayed.
However, I did not press any record button on zoom app. Is there any probability that REC function can be turned on by speaker carelessly? I did not share my screen too.

Is the paid version zoom used by my instructor able to detect 3rd party screen-recording?
In the class, the instructor is delivering a boring 4-hr long presentation, reading textbook, and half of the class (11 out of 20) was not paying attention to his super-boring lecture. Some were eating dinner, some watching YouTube, radio listening, or doing assignment of other classes. I myself was browsing webpages and sometimes reading my physical book on desk only.

The instructor actively from time to time enlarged his screen to block my view of other concurrent browser page. Extremely forceful and impolite. He is aware his lecture contains zero insights and delivers a robotic interpretation of textbook content. 

I am using the latest free version 5.9.1 (3506) zoom on an old iMac, high sierra, 10.13.6.

For your help and reply please.

Regards

koh 
Zoom user (free version)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Zoom is only able to detect when someone is recording with Zoom, not other 3rd-party recording software. It could be that the teacher suspected someone was recording and said that to scare them from doing that again, but its hard to say without asking the teacher directly. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Bort

Zoom is only able to detect when someone is recording with Zoom, not other 3rd-party recording software. It could be that the teacher suspected someone was recording and said that to scare them from doing that again, but its hard to say without asking the teacher directly. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Hello with the new zoom update, Is it possible for zoom to notify the host if one of the guests is recording the third party app suggest quick time or B2B. 

I have heard conflicting information about it that with the new zoom update the house can tell if someone's recording it from a third party app such as quick time so any inside should be benefication

kohmasaki
Listener

Right. A threatening way.