cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound when sharing video. Sometimes

Pewr
Listener

I've had this problem for a while now. I attend regular meetings and my job is to occasionally share short videoes. 

Maybe 1 out 4 times there is no sound and someone else has to step in and share the video. 

For the meeting today I did a sound check before the meeting and there was no sound when sharing the video. I restarted my computer and didn't have anything open and then sound was fine. 20 minutes later it didn't work. I didn't touch anything else and did used the exact same video and settings. 

I run the latest version of zoom on Windows 10. 

And yes, I have checked the box for "share sound" and "optimize for video". 

Is there anything I can do? I feel like a complete idiot when people message me that I have to check the box to share sound. I have this problem about once a week. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nancy52
Listener

Hi Gregg,

My problem is slightly different. While on Zoom, the sound from my videos is very choppy - it stops and starts while the visual portion is running smoothly. I've checked to see if my drivers are all up to date - they are. It's a brand new computer with plenty of RAM. I've never had this problem before on any other computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Nancy

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

GreggG_aka_4G
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello Pewr -

I've seen this before and had a similar experience. It would be best to make sure that the music output is the PC when sharing music. You may have a blue tooth wireless speaker that the music defaults to; thus, stopping the playing of sound during your presentation/screen share. Let us know if this corrects your issue.

If this has answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button below so that others in the Community may benefit too.

Gregg Glowinski

Hello,

I have the same issue. I have digital output only connected to my speakers but zoom is not able to pick up the sound. The only way I can get zoom to pick up any sound is if I plug in my headphones in to the aux input and select it as my default output instead of the digital output. I would like to be able to use my digital output and share the sound. Please help.

Hi Greg

When I share a video, the participants don't hear the sound. This has been happening from about 4 months ago, before never had that problem. My shar sound box is checked. Any suggestions please

I suggest using auxiliary headphones or external speakers and see if that helps your issue. Test after every change.

If i change the Audio Settings to Speakers, instead of my headset, won't all sound go through internal speakers? I just want it changed so people in meeting i'm presenting can here video sounds

If I am understanding you correctly Zoom can only share sound from the computer speakers? This seems like a huge oversight. We got an Owl for hybrid meetings and couldn't figure out why the sound wasn't working on videos. We have been using the Owl speaker as it is louder than the laptop speakers.

Pewr
Listener

Hi Gregg.  

Thank you for your suggestion. I assume you mean Settings->Audio->Speaker. 

I had three options. "Same as pc", "Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)" and "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek(R) Audio)"

"Same as pc" was chosen. When I tried "Realtek Digital Output" I had no sound, while "Speakers" worked perfectly. 
So perhaps that solves the problem if the device is firm and not automatically..?

I will test and see if it helps. 

Thank you very much 🙂 

GreggG_aka_4G

You are welcome. I hope it works for you, and yes, I was referring to "Same as PC" if an external speaker is chosen, the sound won't play to your audience in the meeting or webinar.

Have a Great Day!

Gregg

If this has answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button below so that others in the Community may benefit too.

Gregg Glowinski

Nancy52
Listener

Hi Gregg,

My problem is slightly different. While on Zoom, the sound from my videos is very choppy - it stops and starts while the visual portion is running smoothly. I've checked to see if my drivers are all up to date - they are. It's a brand new computer with plenty of RAM. I've never had this problem before on any other computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Nancy

I have had the same problem. I teach audiovisual translation and my students are no able to listen to the videos when I share them. The sound chopps. I have contacted zoom for many times but up to now, nobody could find a solution for the problem. 

GreggG_aka_4G

Hello Nancy, I suggest selecting the advanced tab as highlighted in the screen capture when you are sharing these videos during your Zoom Meetings. This will optimize the playback for both video and sound. Also, please ensure you check the share sound box, located bottom left. Additionally, here is the link to our support page on desktop sharing: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362153 

Gregg Glowinski

Nancy52
Listener

Hi Gregg,

Thanks for the speedy response. I've tried all that and it's still choppy. I also tried changing which video player I was using. Nothing is working. The videos all play fine directly from the internet or downloaded to my hard drive. However, I soon as I start a Zoom meeting, even if I don't share the video on my screen, the audio gets choppy. Any other ideas?

-Nancy

GreggG_aka_4G

Nancy, what version of the software is your Zoom App running? Are you using a Windows PC or MacBook?

Gregg Glowinski

I have this exact same thing happen. I spent 4 hours today with tech support (not Zoom support) and we tried just about everything. Still no resolve.  Were you able to figure it out?

Pinkster
Listener

I have a slightly different problem. I have an external Yeti microphone which I use to pick up my voice better in Zoom meetings.  When I share my screen to play videos, my audience can hear it just fine, but I hear nothing. I'm assuming it's a setting that I don't have right, but I can't figure it out. Help please! Thanks.

NHH
Listener

We had a similar but still, yet again, different problem.  When using Zoom Webinar and sharing videos with sound, (and yes, checking the box to share sound and optimize, etc.) Many people could hear the videos' sound but some couldn't.  Many of the people that could NOT hear the audio reported being on Macs (though NOT all).  Most reported that they could hear sound for the first couple of videos but then it cut out for the rest.  Watching the same webinar from a PC, the sound was fine all the way through.
Is there any sense of what could be causing this?  Thank you.  

I have tested zoom in a couple of ways and noticed consistent issues relates to sound. It has issues when using digital output on the PC and Bluetooth audio connecting when after you've joined a meeting. I don't have any issues if I plug an auxiliary cable to the speaker output on my pc, and regarding the Bluetooth I have to close down zoom and restart it for audio to be carried on Bluetooth.

RabeI
Listener

I was a panelist on a Zoom webinar this morning and tried to share a video using advanced sharing and selecting the video file.  I tried to click the "Share sound" button but it would not respond to any amount of clicking (box remained unchecked); I tried closing out and then reopening the video share procedure with no luck. The moderator also tried changing me from panelist to co-host, but that didn't help either.

After the webinar I set up a Zoom meeting from my own account and joined it from an unlinked device. This time, following the same procedure, the "Share sound" button worked, and was actually already checked as the default; the audio feed from the video came through perfectly.  Is there a specific setting that was blocking the sharing of my computer audio because the initial call was a webinar rather than a regular meeting? How do I avoid that in future?

I know there are different options for settings depending on the type of account you have. Check the following link if the problem persists.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/6164492468365